Mining ore station

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Abarel
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Mining ore station

Post by Abarel »

AfdMascon wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:26 am
Is it me or building bunch of ore stations in late game is the most boring thing to do ever?
I am on my cityblock playthrough, and i need to make like 20 or even 30 new stations to complete the square and its so boring that it just killing me
Copying and pasting from your previous "station" into the new locations, or even making blueprints? Then deploying a roboport and providing the materials by hand into a provider box (or by train in a more satisfying automated system)?

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

AfdMascon wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:26 am
Is it me or building bunch of ore stations in late game is the most boring thing to do ever?
I am on my cityblock playthrough, and i need to make like 20 or even 30 new stations to complete the square and its so boring that it just killing me
Although i know of much more boring things , in factorio late-game outpost spam is quite tedious , i would agree :)

The richness and size of the ore patch means a lot too, the further away from the starting area, the richer they get, and if you are willing to make some long train tracks, you can get to very rich patch even with default settings, which reduce the need to replace them. Researching mining productivity to high level / foverever, helps too.

Apart from that, supplying material from train, having it being unloaded to a dedicated logistic network and robots do the work is a way to do it from the map view, potentially, once a good system is ready you only have to copy the blueprints as mentionned.

If you mean removing the biters on a very large area, it's a different blueprint that need be used before :twisted:

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

One issue is perhaps, that you cannot directly create blueprints for a whole ore mine, because the size varies and you cannot place miners outside one resource patch. If you happen to get a patch of different shape, some spaces might not be covered by the blueprint.

However, there are blueprint generators for ore mines that create miner ghosts for the whole maximum of 60 tile diameter. Or you can create a full 60x60 resource patch manually in the map editor, then place miners and belts and the station, then take the blueprint.

Example:

NineNine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NineNine »

I have a pretty big base, so building anything from scratch takes a good 20-30 minutes. So, I build more ore miners when I'm waiting for stuff to be built. I generally don't know what the next bottleneck will be after I fix the current one, so building ore stations (and nuclear power) fits into the time between fixing various bottlenecks.

My workflow goes:
- Put down tons of prints to fix whatever the current bottleneck is.
- Build ore mines and connect nuclear power plants to water.
Repeat.

Return to “Gameplay Help”