Research Speed discrepancy

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
DragonXR6
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Research Speed discrepancy

Post by DragonXR6 »

I have checked my bonuses tab to see that I have a 50% increase in research speed, however I have only researched the 30%. After timing a module research, I found the end time to be 1 minute 40 seconds. I was using 10 labs and had production for the research bottles up at all times. With the 50% speed increase, the total time should have been 75 seconds ((30-15)x(50/10))=15x5=75, which is 1 minute 15 seconds. The time I ended with, however, is closer to the 30% speed increase ((30-10)x(50/10))=20x5=100, which is 1 minute and 40 seconds. I assume the bonuses display is taking ALL bonuses into account, even inactive/replaced ones such as the 20% research speed, resulting in a visual total of 50%, when only the 30% is active. Only a minor issue, but I thought that it would be good to notify you.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Research Speed discrepancy [1.1.87]

Post by Loewchen »

Lab speed upgrades are cumulative so showing +50% after you finish the second upgrade is correct. Post a save file and describe exactly what you are researching, how long it takes and how long you would expect instead.

DragonXR6
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Research Speed discrepancy

Post by DragonXR6 »

As I explained before, I was researching one of the modules (Green, though they all have the same research time) and it took 1 minute and 40 seconds.

The default time is 30s x 50, which is 1500 seconds

I have 10 labs, which makes it go down to 30s x 5, which is 150s

With a 50% speed increase, that would further reduce to 15s x 5, or 75s

However, with a 30% speed increase, it would be 20s x 5, which is 100s, or 1 minute and 40 seconds

I did this on stream, and mentioned that if the display is correct, then that would make the actual research bugged, or that if the research node is correct, then the display is bugged. Again there was constant power being supplied and the bottles never remotely ran out, so it didn't ever slow due to those.
Attachments
Da Streem.zip
Save file
(6.81 MiB) Downloaded 31 times

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

DragonXR6 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:56 pm
With a 50% speed increase, that would further reduce to 15s x 5, or 75s
A lab speed increase by 50% doesn't equate a research time reduction by 50%. Instead in the time it would have taken a lab to consume one science pack it now consumes 1.5 packs, which is a 33.3% research time reduction.
Last edited by Nidan on Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I do not understand your calculations.
The tech takes 1500s / 10 labs / 1.5 speed = 100s

DragonXR6
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DragonXR6 »

Hmmm, ah, okay, I see, now I get it. Took me a bit, but I think I understand now. With 50% it turns from 1:1 to 2:1 (2 done in the time of 1), how I was thinking it, but since it works that way it'd be 3:2 (3 done in the time of 2). That's a bit complicated, but I understand it now.

Then, I would suggest maybe a timer saying how long it will take? Like the production lines, where it says how much research you are doing in X amount of time. I've been trying to calculate it myself this entire time, which would make sense why my times have been off. Simply making it so that, once research is started, it calculates how many active labs are running, on top of current research boosts, then gives an estimate based on that.

Currently I still can't figure out how the formula for the percentage works, but I can try to propose one for such a feature.

X=Base Speed (1) + (1*research boost) (this case x=1+(1*50%)=1+0.5=1.5) Y=Research Time (this case Y=30) Z=Amount/Active Labs (This case Z=50/10=5)

T=Total Time. So, it would be T=(Y/X)*Z This case is T=(30/1.5)*5=20*5=100.

Just my suggestion though, as it'd be a nice quality of life feature that would prevent future confusion.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

DragonXR6 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:28 pm
Hmmm, ah, okay, I see, now I get it. Took me a bit, but I think I understand now. With 50% it turns from 1:1 to 2:1 (2 done in the time of 1), how I was thinking it, but since it works that way it'd be 3:2 (3 done in the time of 2). That's a bit complicated, but I understand it now.
No, with a 50% bonus, it's 1.5:1, not 2:1. (2:1 is a 100% increase, not 50%.)
DragonXR6 wrote:
Then, I would suggest maybe a timer saying how long it will take? Like the production lines, where it says how much research you are doing in X amount of time. I've been trying to calculate it myself this entire time, which would make sense why my times have been off. Simply making it so that, once research is started, it calculates how many active labs are running, on top of current research boosts, then gives an estimate based on that.
It would be nice, but in the meantime, there is a mod or two out there that adds it.
DragonXR6 wrote:
Currently I still can't figure out how the formula for the percentage works, but I can try to propose one for such a feature.

X=Base Speed (1) + (1*research boost) (this case x=1+(1*50%)=1+0.5=1.5) Y=Research Time (this case Y=30) Z=Amount/Active Labs (This case Z=50/10=5)

T=Total Time. So, it would be T=(Y/X)*Z This case is T=(30/1.5)*5=20*5=100.

Just my suggestion though, as it'd be a nice quality of life feature that would prevent future confusion.
That math is still incorrect, because 1) it fails to take into account researches with different research times, and 2) you're creating a ratio of active labs, which technically has no bearing on the result.

Loewchen already gave you the formula:

Code: Select all

base_research_time / #_of_active_labs / (1 + research_bonus) = actual_time
base_research_time is calculated as:

science_count * time_per_science
Edit: Well, I guess seems the research bonus is like "free" labs, it can also be written like this:

base_research_time / (#_of_active_labs * (1 + research_bonus)) = actual_time
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Gameplay Help”