I don't understand signaling system in Factorio

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
MrIrregular
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

I don't understand signaling system in Factorio

Post by MrIrregular »

Hey guys, this is my second time writing almost same problems. Everything was working until some crushing momement. So i am trying to understand how this system works. I have 6 train in one location. Sometimes they crush because they departure at the same time. For this reason i put bunch of signals. It worked for a while or i thought so but they crushed again. I download a picture. I need to make this signaling so they dont crush each other. I deleted almost every single signal but now i am getting red signal all the time. :/
Adsız.png
Adsız.png (3.92 MiB) Viewed 865 times

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: I don't understand signaling system in Factorio

Post by Khagan »

You should have:
  • a chain signal somewhere between each train stop and the point where it merges into the shared exit track; and
  • a rail signal at the final exit point.
You could also add an additional chain signal on the exit track just before each merge point; they might increase throughput slightly, but are not necessary for correctness.

The upper two signals in your picture are correct: add similar ones to the other four stops.
The lower right-hand signal in your picture is pointless.
The other two lower ones are optional.

MrIrregular
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MrIrregular »

Khagan wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:19 pm
You should have:
  • a chain signal somewhere between each train stop and the point where it merges into the shared exit track; and
You could also add an additional chain signal on the exit track just before each merge point; they might increase throughput slightly, but are not necessary for correctness.

The upper two signals in your picture are correct: add similar ones to the other four stops.
Hey, thanks again. I am gonna try what you said tomorrow. It is kinda late here. :) Thank you for your help.

MrIrregular
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MrIrregular »

Khagan wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:19 pm
You should have:

Hey again, i tried again. I couldn't do it. Something always wrong. I just deleted the game. I have been dealing with this problem for 2 days straight. I am not gonna waste my time anymore. Thank you for your help. :)

Premu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Premu »

Even if the original person might have given up - for stations like that there's a simple pattern which works:

For each rail in the stacker a normal signal at the beginning, a chain signal at the end.

If you want to add signals on the rail connecting the stacker with the actual stations, these need to be chain signals as well as you never want any train to stop here.

The single stations have normal signals both there they branch off from the incoming rail and before the outgoing rail. If the outgoing rail is very long, you can add more normal signals there to increase throughput. I know this breaks the typical rule for chain signals - but in this case you really don't need them, as no train will really get stuck a long time on that outgoing rail. So letting trains already out early doesn't hurt or cause deadlocks.

Combine that with some blueprints for your railnetwork for different junctions, and you should have no issues with signaling anymore.

Return to “Gameplay Help”