better management of a train with two locomotives (being able to go backwards or forwards)

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
lostopkk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

better management of a train with two locomotives (being able to go backwards or forwards)

Post by lostopkk »

I've been playing factorio for a while and I've always had difficulty making a train line with a train with 2 locomotives, one behind and one in front... the game doesn't seem to support this type of action, because the train signaling system is buggy. .. because when I put him to go to a place and another signal for him to return, the game cannot understand and starts having problems understanding this type of action
suggestion: greater feasibility between creating trains with 2 locomotives, being able to choose which locomotive will move at a given time. improve the signaling system to recognize the return and departure of the train.

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: better management of a train with two locomotives (being able to go backwards or forwards)

Post by Nidan »

Trains can do this probably since their introduction, at least for longer than I'm playing Factorio.
Please post pictures of your setup or the save, there's probably an error in your signaling. But note that trains will only change the direction of travel when leaving a station (and when they're initially switched to automatic).

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: better management of a train with two locomotives (being able to go backwards or forwards)

Post by Pi-C »

My guess: You've put up some (chain) signals on your track, but did it wrongly. If you want your train to go back and forth, signals must be on both sides of the track, otherwise the rails will be regarded as uni-directional. Also, the rail blocks must be the same in both directions, so you must place the signals exactly opposite of each other, without offset.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moving this to Gameplay Help for now, if there's really something that has to be suggested, I'll move it back tu Suggestions.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

You might find this guide helpful in getting the signalling to do what you want:
viewtopic.php?t=53937
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Return to “Gameplay Help”