Train conditions doing the opposite of what their meant to

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ketchupee1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train conditions doing the opposite of what their meant to

Post by ketchupee1 »

The conditions for a train are doing the opposite of what they're meant to. In my example within the video, I have two stops called "full" and "empty", where the train is meant to go to the "full" stop when the cargo is full, and is meant to go to the empty stop when the cargo is "empty". In the video, you'll see it's going to the "full" stop when the cargo is instead empty, and vice versa to the "empty" stop when it's full.

This also applies to conditions with sub-conditions with direct opposites, in the video I give an example for item count, which itself does not have a direct opposite condition, but does have sub-conditions "less than" and "greater than".

Conditions with no direct opposite, however, seem to work. However, this may just be a coincidence, because the only two conditions that I can think of are "Time Passed" and "Inactivity", which both rely upon the passage of time, so it may be this, mmm, let us say, quality, that actually explains why these conditions still work as intended, but right now it's not clear.

Here is a link to my YouTube video which goes through the various testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3QKiaA ... Csonofduck.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Train conditions doing the opposite of what their meant to

Post by Loewchen »

As the name "Wait condition" implies, the train will wait in the station until the condition is met.

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

ketchupee1 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:26 am
the train is meant to go to the "full" stop when the cargo is full, and is meant to go to the empty stop when the cargo is "empty". In the video, you'll see it's going to the "full" stop when the cargo is instead empty, and vice versa to the "empty" stop when it's full.
You seem to have misunderstood what the purpose of the conditions are. When the condition is met, a train will leave that station, not come to it.
Instead of dumping all items in at once like you did in the video, try setting up an inserter instead and watch the trains UI while the wagon gets filled/emptied. You'll see a progress bar on the conditions, but only for the station the train is currently at. The train will leave once the bars are full (i.e. the wait condition is fulfilled).

ketchupee1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ketchupee1 »

Loewchen wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:43 am
As the name "Wait condition" implies, the train will wait in the station until the condition is met.
Omg I'm stupid 😭😭😭

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

You're not the only one who is sometimes confused. Are the terms meant from the perspective of the station, or from the perspective of the train? Waiting for staying, or waiting for leaving?

My rules of thumb:
  • wait conditions are timeouts, they are "wait until". Wait until inventory full. Wait until time has passed. Wait until inactivity > 10s.
  • I call stations "pickup" and "delivery" (or "load" and "unload"), which makes it clear what this station does: moving things into the train, or out of the train.

Return to “Gameplay Help”