Aliens

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
gwadaCham
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Aliens

Post by gwadaCham »

Hi.
Is it possible to minimize aliens attack ?
thx.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Aliens

Post by Loewchen »

You can set enemies to what ever difficulty you like in the map generator https://wiki.factorio.com/Map_generator#Enemy.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Map generation settings are for when you are creating a game. Inside the game, you basically have two options : guile, and force. Ideally, you would use both. Both revolve around what makes biters attack : nests in the Pollution Cloud, absorbing pollution.

Guile would be developing and using Efficiency Modules to reduce the pollution you generate, and thus, the Pollution Cloud. A smaller cloud means less space for biter nests to be within it. Bear in mind it takes a long time for existing pollution to be absorbed by terrain.

Force would be going and clearing out any biter nests located within, or even just near, the Pollution Cloud. Turret creep, nukes, spidertron groups sent on seek and destroy missions, the means of doing this are varied depending on your technology level.

Ideally, you would do both. Clear nests out of the cloud, and minimize your pollution cloud. No nests within the cloud means no reprisal attacks. Expansion parties running into you is a less frequent “attack”, and generally comprise smaller parties anyway. Unfortunately, the two means of (ultimately) preventing reprisals upon your factory won’t stop expansion parties. A few turrets will do that trick for you.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

How you deal with enemies depend on the game stage. If you start a fresh map with default enemy settings, it's a race between you becoming strong enough to fight enemies against the enemies becoming too strong and too frequent to fight off.

If I (with default enemy settings) am going to expand the base, I clear the region around the expansion area, so the pollution coming from new buildings will not touch any remaining enemy nests. This way no enemy will attack and I'm free to build my base completely undisturbed. This works very well for the early to mid game with plenty of time.

To stay undisturbed, I check the pollution cloud of the whole base frequently and identify nests nearest to the pollution cloud. These nests are either new or get near due to the expanding pollution cloud. Then I'm going to clear these nests manually to prevent random surprise attacks when the pollution cloud will eventually touch them.

You cannot fully prevent every attack. However, enemies will always attack in a similar fashion, so you can place turrets to block frequently used ways. Lakes and cliffs are great for funneling enemies to a small path where a few turrets are sufficient to kill them all - no need to put turrets all around the base. If you found a convenient funnel, don't destroy the nests behind it but let the enemies just come and destroy them. Keeping such nests inside your pollution cloud is a great way to consume part of the pollution, so it's not expanding to inconvenient locations too soon. However, nests visible nearby and reachable by just walking over are too near - they have to be destroyed.

This strategy works for me very good until I am able to research artillery. It depends now on my goal: do I just want to launch a rocket or do I want to expand my base even further? If I only need the rocket, I'm building it. If not, I fortify everything with walls and artillery. Artillery is the way to automatically prevent biters to overrun my base, because it is the only automated weapon that can destroy enemy nests. Strategy is to place artillery all around my base to prevent nests spawning nearer and nearer, and turrets near the artillery to fight incoming biters rallied by artillery destroying their nests. I also need to arrange for automated artillery shell supply.

On the other hand, just about the same time you get artillery, your ore resources around your starting area and your current base will be almost depleted, so you need to expand. If you have enough ore to build the rocket or if you need to expand depends on the map layout. Usually, now it's the time to fight your way to a bunch of new ore patches, otherwise you will run out of resources and out of ammo. If you are too slow and don't have artillery in this situation, nests will creep too near to your base and you will use up your time with continually fighting biters and nests manually instead of expanding your base. This is the race I mentioned previously. Keep an eye on it.

gwadaCham
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gwadaCham »

Merci à tous pour vos réponses détaillées, vous êtes super.

TheKillerChicken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheKillerChicken »

I would start with trying to keep the pollution low-profile as the Zerg do not like it and will evolve. This is based on the default settings, however.

Return to “Gameplay Help”