Megabase Grid / City Block size

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Megabase Grid / City Block size

Post by zOldBulldog »

I noticed that most of the standard blueprints and youtube videos involving a Grid or City Block make them 100x100. This is puzzling to me since 96x96 would make it exactly 3 chunks by 3 chunks and still leave a 2-block border outside of the power-pole square.

I am certain there is some well-thought out logic behind that 100x100 size that has been tried and tested but I fail to understand it. I am guessing it has something to do with "some" of the megabase modules needing those few extra spaces, maybe it helps align things better, or maybe it has to do with needing space between grids to be able to connect things.

Can someone please explain the advantages of the 100x100 size?

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Megabase Grid / City Block size

Post by vjbone »

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

To translate the leaving of a simple link, it has to do with roboport connection distance being 50+50 tiles. Of course, you don't need to build it at this size. You can shrink it to 96x96 and it'll still work. Or you can increase it and throw an extra roboport inbetween on each side and some in the middle if the construction area (110 from roboport) becomes too big.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Thanks, that makes sense. They are trying to make maximum use of the roboport range. If it is only that I will almost certainly reduce my grid size to 96x96 and make it chunk aligned too. I don't expect to use that many roboports.

I do wonder though if there are additional reasons for the 100x100 size.

Return to “Gameplay Help”