Train Limit on Train Station not working

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Uschalabamba
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train Limit on Train Station not working

Post by Uschalabamba »

Hello everyone,

first of all sorry if this might be a duplictate topic, but I cant find any help online for my specific problem after a lot of searching and I'm just in need of help from someone who knows the game better than I do.

The problem: My train limits arent working (anymore)!
I have a base that uses double headed 2-wagon trains for everything. For close to 400 hours in this world, everything worked fine. Now suddenly trains are coming to stations with saturated train limits. Every station has a train limit of 1, but my smelteries are getting clogged with multiple trains driving into one station, thus deadlocking my entire base. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? I'm by no means an expert on trains but I did manage to run megabases with it without any problems. Am I just missing something?

Screenshots are attatched.
Thanks in advance and have a nice day
Attachments
This is the setup of my stations. All stations are seperated as either Dropoff (DO) or Pickup (PU) for each resepective item.
This is the setup of my stations. All stations are seperated as either Dropoff (DO) or Pickup (PU) for each resepective item.
Factorio2.PNG (11.13 MiB) Viewed 1246 times
This shows the deadlock
This shows the deadlock
Factorio1.PNG (18.28 MiB) Viewed 1246 times

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Train Limit on Train Station not working

Post by astroshak »

In the pic showing the deadlock, it appears the terminal stations are paired up. Between pairs you have Rail Signals on the main line. Changing those to Chain Signals would at least prevent a train from trying to pull in to block the train trying to leave.

Beyond that, I have no suggestions to offer. I’ve never run into an issue with the Train Stop Limit not being followed.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Post your save file if you want to know why this is happening.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Could the train be trying to turn around? I don't know how two-directional trains are allowed to turn, can they drive into a station and reverse out as a way of "turning"? The pathfinder will occasionally do crazy things like route trains through other stations, very rarely (either due to crazy long paths or because something triggered a repathing in the train which would make it suddenly change its planned route).

Placing chain signals would help. If it's a train repathing then it would eventually repath again, as it's no longer deadlocked itself and the automatic repathing can eventually get it out of there.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

MEOWMI wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:43 pm
Could the train be trying to turn around? I don't know how two-directional trains are allowed to turn, can they drive into a station and reverse out as a way of "turning"? The pathfinder will occasionally do crazy things like route trains through other stations, very rarely (either due to crazy long paths or because something triggered a repathing in the train which would make it suddenly change its planned route).
I don’t think that is the case here. Trains can only go Forward. Having a backward facing Locomotive lets a train, when ready to leave a station, have two choices of “Forward” to pick from. With terminal stations like the TC is using, there is only one way for the train to go, which is “backward” compared to the direction the train took to pull into the station. However, as far as the train is concerned, it is always “forward”. Can’t use a station to turn around if there is no actual turn around there to use.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

After some quick testing in game I think I know what happened.

Your train has already 'left' the station, thus it's not using up the 1 slot limit for the station, allowing another train to route to it. Notice its status is 'Heading to Copper Ore PU' in the station's train listing - if it was waiting at the station for a spot to free up at the next station, it'd still have the status of 'Standing at <Station Name>'.

I'm guessing what happened was that the train was ready to leave but wasn't able to move away yet - possibly there was a train already in the block outside the station when it was ready to go, and by the time that train cleared the block the next train was waiting to get in the block too, and next train happened to get in the block first, so the old train still couldn't go anywhere.

As mentioned, some signals on the curved rails leading in/out should fix this.

Uschalabamba
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Uschalabamba »

(Not sure how text formatting works on here, maybe things look weird)

Your train has already 'left' the station, thus it's not using up the 1 slot limit for the station, allowing another train to route to it. Notice its status is 'Heading to Copper Ore PU' in the station's train listing - if it was waiting at the station for a spot to free up at the next station, it'd still have the status of 'Standing at <Station Name>'.

I'm guessing what happened was that the train was ready to leave but wasn't able to move away yet - possibly there was a train already in the block outside the station when it was ready to go, and by the time that train cleared the block the next train was waiting to get in the block too, and next train happened to get in the block first, so the old train still couldn't go anywhere.

This sounds plausible. Since I am using hypersonic trains they could theoretically arrive very quickly. I'll do some testing to verify, and try using the chain signals. I'll update the post for other people if I find out if this was the actual problem or something else still.

Uschalabamba
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Uschalabamba »

Silari wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:45 am

So I tested some things and as it turns out you were right, Silari! My hypersonic trains are fast enough to arrive at the desired stop when the outgoing train is being held up by a slower blue train, before it can leave. Using the chain signals did the trick. I didnt expect the signals to be the problem, I was totally expecting the modded trains or the train limits being the problem.
Either way I learned something new again. Thanks for the help everyone!
Have a nice day :)

Return to “Gameplay Help”