Train Crossing

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
tatsuu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Train Crossing

Post by tatsuu »

I'm losing my mind here.

what am I doing wrong I've spent more time than I care to admit trying to fix this. I never have managed I always end up sending the trains through manually. I launched my first rocket and then started automating rockets and still the solution to this crossing eludes me. I've watched tons of youtube guides noone seems to give the solution.

signal in crossing signals out doesn't work in this use case.
Screenshot from 2023-01-09 01-44-42.png
Screenshot from 2023-01-09 01-44-42.png (4.77 MiB) Viewed 1332 times

tatsuu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Train Crossing

Post by tatsuu »

I just put a single rail signal in and out and that seems to do the trick :
Screenshot from 2023-01-09 01-56-23.png
Screenshot from 2023-01-09 01-56-23.png (4.33 MiB) Viewed 1331 times

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I'm far from being an expert on train crossings, but this is what I would've done.
Train Crossing.jpg
Train Crossing.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 1323 times
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:50 am
I'm far from being an expert on train crossings, but this is what I would've done.
The two existing chains should be normal signals and the "X" should be the chain signal.

tatsuu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tatsuu »

Loewchen wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:01 am

The two existing chains should be normal signals and the "X" should be the chain signal.
nice!

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Loewchen wrote:
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Yeah, you could do that. I was just going for something with minimal changes and didn't see the need to allow one train ahead of the other into the first intersection considering the short distance saved. *shrug*
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Loewchen wrote:
FuryoftheStars wrote:
In the particular situation here that would be fine, but FuryoftheStars' suggestion follows the simple, general rule that there should always be a train's length from a normal signal to the next signal (of either type). That is, assuming the block north of the crossing is long enough.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

SoShootMe wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:21 am
In the particular situation here that would be fine, but FuryoftheStars' suggestion follows the simple, general rule that there should always be a train's length from a normal signal to the next signal (of either type). That is, assuming the block north of the crossing is long enough.
If that is a general rule, it needs to die (:
It would reduce throughput unnecessarily in all cases but one. The one case being the first Block after a chain-signal, where you need the train to fit into completely so its rear cannot block the Block your chain-signal tries to keep free.

The "general" rule for junction free track should be, to keep the Block size (distance from normal signal to next signal) a fraction of the train length (1/2, 1/3, ...), so that a train can move as close to the one in front of it as possible. For most players this degree of optimization is not necessary though.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Loewchen wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:24 pm
SoShootMe wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:21 am
If that is a general rule, it needs to die (:
It would reduce throughput unnecessarily in all cases but one.
I agree it needs to die, but only because I meant to write "at least a train's length"! Also, I'm not sure if you interpreted "general" as something like "always applicable", but to me a "general rule" is explicitly not that.

Put another way: it's essential at the exit of a junction (as you described) and in practice a useful "rule of thumb" lower block size limit in other cases, where smaller blocks don't affect "correctness" and would allow higher throughput but are usually just unnecessary signals.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Well, regardless of the rule, the reason I recommended it the way I did was because when I quick did a mock-up intersection like the OP's, placing signals somewhat like how Loewchen recommended, I saw the blocks as being too small to make a meaningful difference. As such, it felt like it was easier to get across this way vs anything else.

Return to “Gameplay Help”