How does one transition from starter base to megabase?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
TheSteak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

How does one transition from starter base to megabase?

Post by TheSteak »

I've had this problem from each world I've ever made, and it's bothering me that I can't seem to scale up my production without each expansion being harder than the last.

The reasons for the difficulty seem to mostly be focused around how to add new modules into the factory to increase my production, but doing so usually leads to the base looking like a mess, or it just straight up not working due to throughput issues.

I've tried to make a train-centred base, but even then, throughput seems to be the main issue. I've tried adding more trains to the network, but the trains seem to just ignore some stations that are empty, and instead go to stations with a full buffer but no train.

I've considered using circuit conditions, but I barely have any idea on how to use them. Maybe circuit conditions would make the whole problem more complicated, but it seems like the right idea. Does anybody have any other ideas on how to solve this problem?

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: How does one transition from starter base to megabase?

Post by Tertius »

It depends on what you mean with "megabase" - how big mega is for you.
If you want it really big, you need to plan a totally different factory than you had before - currently, you probably have a factory that is able to launch single rockets.
If you want a moduled factory, you need differently designed production lines in the first place, designed with modules and beacons in mind. This comes with a higher input and output, so different traffic/train requirements and vastly more energy demand.

I propose you plan and implement your upgraded factory some distance away next to your existing factory. Keep your existing factory and enable your mall within that factory to output the stuff you need to build a new upgraded factory from scratch. Then make space for the new factory 1000 or 2000 tiles away and start from there with completely fresh and new designs.

Personally, I develop blueprints for that new factory in sandbox mode, not in a real game map, because it's easier this way to tinker with details. That's personal preference, of course. Everything can be done in a real map as well.

TheSteak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheSteak »

So how would I distribute resources? Would it be through logistic bot swarms, belting or through construction trains?
And when I build the foundations of my megabase, how should I tear down my old base? Would it be better to recycle buildings, or is it better to just call in a bombing strike with artillery?

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

My main advice is - don't deconstruct working factory until your new concept is working. After you establish your "base" factory, with which you are satisfied, focus on constructing a mall, where you assemble everything you may need for factory expansion and building. Automate weapon production, and especially artillery, to clear area you will expand into. You definately will need trains to support your logistics for expansion and maintenance of your defenses.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

TheSteak wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:52 am
So how would I distribute resources? Would it be through logistic bot swarms, belting or through construction trains?
Yes
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Trains to move resources long distances. Belts and/or bots to move resources around locally.

Don’t tear down the older factory until you no longer need it. If it’s your only source of science, the. You need to keep that up and running to get research done while you build the megabase. If it’s your only mall, you cannot build your megabase if you tear it down due to lack of components!

In other words, tearing the old factory down is the last step in transitioning to a megabase. And it’s purely optional.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

And what the logistics network (bots) can be used for: I use them for construction of course (all my blueprints include roboports, so they build themselves, so to speak). And for items of low demand that needs to be transported long distance. For example fuel supply in train stations. And the outskirts of your base should have roboport coverage, so in case anything gets damaged from biter attacks, it's automatically repaired and replaced by contruction robots.

Return to “Gameplay Help”