Newb stuck on a train automation with liquids

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
MightyModest
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Newb stuck on a train automation with liquids

Post by MightyModest »

I've really struggled to wrap my head around certain train automations, even after sitting through video tutorials. I have a single track train with engines on either end, going out to an oil field and back to my base. I can get the train to automate to the oil field stop, and it fills the fluid wagons. Then it heads back to the main base. But then I have two issues:

First, when it gets there, I get a no path message, and can't figure out why. I've placed stops on the right side of the track at either end. See screenshot.

Second, it won't unload the fluid at that stop. Assuming that is related to item 1.

And third, this track crosses other tracks, but I can't for the life of my figure out how to properly use signals. Is that why this isn't working? It seems so simple on the video tutorials, but can't get it to work. I've posted my save...would anyone help me understand what I'm doing wrong?

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Newb stuck on a train automation with liquids

Post by Tertius »

There is no screenshot attached, please make sure any upload is actually accepted and not rejected.

About "no path": For a single track that is used for both directions, all signals must appear as pair, and they must be exactly opposite each other. If you hold a signal in hand, and you move near an existing single signal, you see the matching opposite position in white.

For tracks crossing other tracks: Each track is divided into blocks, and blocks are separated by signals. If tracks are crossing other tracks, all overlapping tracks become the same track. Even if a train cannot change from his track to the crossing track.

For example: This is one block.
Screenshot 2022-03-25 000527.png
Screenshot 2022-03-25 000527.png (131.74 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
To separate this and make the two tracks independent from each other, you need to set signals:
Screenshot 2022-03-25 000817.png
Screenshot 2022-03-25 000817.png (192.7 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
You see the actual crossing (purple) is one block and the other blocks (cyan) are all separate from each other.
Why and how to set chain signals and normal signals, see the wiki train signal tutorial: https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Train_signals

If it comes to fluids, make sure this is on a straight rail. Fluid loading/unloading on a curved rail won't work.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Newb stuck on a train automation with liquids

Post by astroshak »

The train starts at Refinery station, automatically moves to Oil Wells, loads up with crude oil, and then runs back to Refinery, without issue to that point?

Would definitely need screenshots; of the layout, of the Refinery station (whatever you call the unloading station for this particular train), of the train’s schedule.

As far as unloading the crude oil, make sure that the train is in Automatic, and is stopped legitimately at the station, and that it is a horizontal or vertical track - no curves or diagonals allowed here! Also make sure that the Pump is facing the right way; if it is facing the wrong way it is trying to push fluid into the train rather than pull it from the train.

Return to “Gameplay Help”