pipes - "water flow resistance"?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: pipes - "water flow resistance"?

Post by ssilk »

Hm. I don't get it. Why should I build such a layout? I would immediately cut one of the farest pipes, because - like in reality - it would make only problems. It's like putting two power-supplies into the computer without an element which joins the streams together (ok, not exactly, but it's the same principle). And it costs more: the pipes at the end and the time you need to build it so.

So what are the advantages of this layout vs. a layout which is just straight: pump -> boilers -> steam engines?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

n9103 wrote:He's talking about a forced circulation pump. One that would be inline with the intended flow and one-way.
Yes that was my idea.
The advantage of such idea is that you can also put boilers on different places in circle so they help restoring pemperature of water and they don't need to be right behind the water source as in normal designs.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Such layouts doesn't exist in reality, because the loss of energy would be too high and the energy level cannot be regulated. You need extra regulators, which - of course - needs energy, too. Producing steam has always layouts, which have a very clear producer / consumer situation because nothing else would work reliable. From engeneering-standpoint "circle of boilers" are a fail - hard but must be said. :) Wait for extended versions of pipes which might come at some time, perhaps they have a resistance or new regulators/valves etc..

My opinion to this is: When you like to make such "complicated" layouts (I know, when building it it's easier, but that's what the game is about: Plan your factory and build it so that it works reliable) with multi-boilers because you think, this is better or you don't need so much material, make it so and live with the problems. :) But that's not the right thinking. Engeneering this means: Find the problem AND solve it, no matter, why there are problems. This is different and leads to other solutions, which works reliable and constant and this means, that such things must be avoided, because you have the experience in it.

Or in other words: The player should have tools to find the problems. But I think, the problems with steam, boilers etc. are part of the game and you as a player are forced to find and solve them. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Arakasi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Arakasi »

I think that check valves is the nice solution. I was about to explain this idea too, but you guys ware faster.

Return to “Gameplay Help”