Such Question Much Wow

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
SuperObeseNinja
Inserter
Inserter

Such Question Much Wow

Post by SuperObeseNinja »

Hello everyone,

So, I have a slight issue that I'd like to blame on my ignorance. I keep making new factories getting around blue science and saying "Nope can't make batteries efficiently" and starting a new factory. This happens with red circuits and a few other things. The following is a list of questions that I would appreciate answered.

How much Sulfer to Sulfuric acid to Batteries do I need? Please use lowest ratio OR most efficient ratio. Could also use a layout using either sulfuric acid storage or pumping the sulfuric acid into chem plants for batteries.

Good layout for red circuits?

also what do you guys keep on ur main bus?

What is the ratio of solar panels to accumulators ? E: Google says 25 accumulators to 21 solar panels?

E: I forgot to thank you in advance for your response. thank You

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Such Question Much Wow

Post by johanwanderer »

SuperObeseNinja wrote:How much Sulfer to Sulfuric acid to Batteries do I need? Please use lowest ratio OR most efficient ratio. Could also use a layout using either sulfuric acid storage or pumping the sulfuric acid into chem plants for batteries.
I make sulfuric acid separately, and pipe them to where ever batteries are made.
SuperObeseNinja wrote:Good layout for red circuits?
This is my current red-circuits layout. It's simple and easy to navigate. Copy/paste to increase production.
20150729-01-red-circuits.png
SuperObeseNinja wrote:also what do you guys keep on ur main bus?
iron, copper, green circuit, steel. At one point, I had a factory that ran on a single belt loop (one side is copper, the other iron).
SuperObeseNinja wrote:What is the ratio of solar panels to accumulators ? E: Google says 25 accumulators to 21 solar panels?
Here you go: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... imal_ratio

It also depends on the day/night cycle, as well as how often your lasers go off at night :)

SuperObeseNinja
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SuperObeseNinja »

you sir.. are wonderful thank you,

you wouldn't happen to know the ratio for plastics to red circuits would you? 1:4 yes?

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

EDIT: chainging post cause i screwed up as seen in next 2 posts. dont want wrong info to be left here to confuse people
this is from wiki (hope nothign changed in .12):
Longest recipie in chain is battery at 5 seconds, so lets balance the production for 5 seconds:
The fastest recipie is the acid plant, so
in 5 seconds, 1 acid chemplant will make 25 acid and use up 25 sulfur
in 5 seconds, 12.5 battery chepmplants will use up 25 acid
in 5 seconds, 2.5 sulfur plants will make 25 sulfur (and use up 37.5 petrolium which means you need something like 7 refineries just to feed this)

So its either 3:1:12 for sulfur:acid:battery
or if you want to be perfect, its 5:2:25 (but you'll probably never use that many batteries).

I think for most factories, 3 sulfur, 1 acid and upto 10 batteries will give you what you need, and have some left over acid for processing units, but the ratio is there if you want to go huge.

for red circuits, if you go just by teh recepies, its 8 advanced cirtuit assemblies use up what 1 plastic chemplant and one wire assembliy and one green circuit assembly make (exactly). but because plastic is made in chemplants and the rest is in assemblies, the speeds are a bit different. i think blue assemblies are a bit slower than chemplants (so you'll have plastic left over if you use 1:1:1:8) and i dont play with yellow assemblies enough to remember if they're equal in speed or faster than chemplants.
Last edited by RoddyVR on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tallinu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tallinu »

RoddyVR wrote:this is from wiki (hope nothign changed in .12):
Longest recipie in chain is battery at 5 seconds, so lets balance the production for 5 seconds:
The fastest recipie is the acid plant, so
in 5 seconds, 1 acid chemplant will make 25 acid and use up 25 sulfur
in 5 seconds, 12.5 battery chepmplants will use up 25 acid
in 5 seconds, 12.5 sulfur plants will make 25 sulfur (and use up 37.5 petrolium which means you need something like 7 refineries just to feed this)

So its either 12:1:12 for sulfur:acid:battery
or if you want to be perfect, its 25:2:25 (but you'll probably never use that many batteries).
There's something wrong with those sulfur / sulfuric acid figures, but they haven't changed in 0.12 as far as I know, so the math on the wiki [was fine, he just read it wrong]. Even a single sulfur plant will make more than 10 sulfur in 5 seconds (it's 10 every 4 real-time seconds, without modules). Chemical plants all run at 1.25x speed by default, so a one second recipe actually takes only 0.8 seconds to complete without any modules -- but conveniently, we can ignore this fact since it doesn't change the ratios between chemical plant recipes.

One chemical plant converts 3 petroleum into 2 sulfur per "second" (as listed in the recipe, rather than real-time seconds). One chemical plant converts 5 sulfur into 5 sulfuric acid per "second". The most optimal ratio between sulfur and acid plants is therefore 5:2, as seen here:

That said, after filling up the one tank I built for acid, these 7 plants have never had to run at anywhere near full capacity. The ten battery plants and fifteen processing unit assemblers I was using in this base have never required it to run at more than 50%.

Batteries are 2 acid per 5 "seconds" per battery plant. With ten plants, that's 4 acid per "second", which can be handled by a single sulfuric acid plant fed by two sulfur plants. If you have more than ten battery plants or a LOT of processing unit production, either a larger acid tank buffer to handle burst production, or a third sulfur plant to get acid production up to the full 5 per second, could typically do the job - you only need more acid output if sustained production actually outstrips a single acid plant's capacity for a significant period of time, giving it no opportunity to refill the buffer tank. But if you really want massive battery output (processing units are a minimal drain on acid, really) then a 2:5 build like I showed should work.

This build can support up to 25 battery plants -- a bit less if you want sustained processing unit production as well, although PUs take only token amounts of sulfuric acid, at 0.5 every 15 "seconds". That means if you make them in level 3 assemblers (which match the 1.25x crafting speed of chemical plants) you can run (15 / 0.5) * 10 = 300 level 3 assemblers instead of 25 battery plants - that is to say, the amount of acid consumed by each battery plant could instead run 12 level 3 assemblers crafting processing units.

(Converting to real-time seconds just requires multiplying the amount per second by 1.25, so the 5:2 build generates 12.5 sulfuric acid per second.)

For advanced circuits, you can actually run eight circuit assemblers per copper wire assembler, and a single plastic plant will also support eight circuit assemblers, whether level 2 or 3. You can find a couple of advanced circuit builds I've used in the same album I linked from the image above.
Last edited by Tallinu on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

The wiki is right, i screwed up reading the formulas (even though i was double checking myself too)...

sulfur production is 5 times faster then what i was calculating (not sure why my math used 5 seconds for the sulfur recepie).

So for battery production the perfect ratio is 25:2:5 for batteries:acid:sulfur. which prety much matches your practical experience shows. you'd need 25 battery machines running to use up all that acid.

nicman23
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nicman23 »

I like to make factories completely autonomous (except from iron/copper/oil). I use oil for dedicated power with productivity in the refinery and speed on the pumps. This is a new play-through so I do not have modules past v2. The following factory's theoretical output is one blue per second (I know it is an overkill, but I wont have to change it). Also ignore the temporary iron problem :D .
Attachments
blue.PNG
blue.PNG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 10629 times

Return to “Gameplay Help”