Lots of bots just sitting idly.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
_galen_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Lots of bots just sitting idly.

Post by _galen_ »

I've seen a lot of posts online about people having problems with idle bots, and the large number of these posts makes me think that it's just a badly implemented system in the game, but maybe I've missed something:

1 construction port. 200 bots. 2 yellow chests. I mark for deconstruction some 10,000 tiles or so (fraction of a full screen). Half the bots get to work, the other half just cluster around the construction port doing nothing at all. If it's not a bug, then why this inconsistency?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Lots of bots just sitting idly.

Post by Loewchen »

_galen_ wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:24 pm
1 construction port. 200 bots.
You have a single roboport to charge 200 bots and think its a bug that this takes a while :roll:

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

_galen_ wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:24 pm
but maybe I've missed something:
There's many post online saying people have hard time using a nail and a hammer without ruining their hands. But there's usually nothing wrong with the hammer and nails. It takes some practice to do some things, thinking about what you are doing and trying to improve too.

The roboport can't charge 100 or 200 robots at the same time, only a few and at a certain limited rate written in the tooltip, otherwise building a roboport would consume so much energy it would be even more impredictible. If 200 robots are draining their battery at the same time, you need enough robotport to transfer energy at the same rate. If you expect them to fly constantly. ( and extra robots so some are flying while other are charging).

Otherwise that's like 200 car going at the same oil station at the same time.

_galen_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by _galen_ »

yet to anyone who's played a video-game before the 3000 or so empty slots for bots in a port—and the absolute absence of any notice otherwise—would suggest that one port can handle 3000 bots without a problem.

it's funny how people seem to put their wizard-programmer ivory-tower hats on with this game, and imply people are stupid for not figuring out for themselves the game's numerous obscure and convoluted systems which it doesn't bother to explain to the player at all. i mean, this isn't mathematics, this isn't physics, this isn't computer-programming, this is a video-game: if i wanted to do something that required a university degree, of hundreds of hours of personal study to enjoy then i would not choose a video-game. you don't get anything from a video-game other the enjoyment of doing it: it doesn't lead anywhere; the other things i mentioned do, and so they warrant a lot of grindy study. if you demand that of the player then the game ceases to be worth their time.

without problems such as these factorio is an excellent game. but their presence detracts from the experience heavily unfortunately—as do the systems in the game which are actually bugged, like the combinators—and so it doesn't reach the quality of stardew etc.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

You need help with combinators too ?
I would be happy to try and provide help

Nidan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nidan »

_galen_ wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:09 pm
and the absolute absence of any notice otherwise
Except that the tooltip says "Robot recharge rate: 4×1.0 MW"
mmmPI wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:25 pm
They're probably referring their other thread

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Flying bots don't recharge by sitting in a roboport. They are clearly waiting outside to charge. The long queues waiting for a free charge slot has always been the sign that you don't have enough roboports.

Return to “Gameplay Help”