Import excess items to logistics network

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Foxite
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Import excess items to logistics network

Post by Foxite »

Hi. I have this setup here to produce Science packs 3:

As you can see, the top line produces Advanced Circuits and the bottom line produces SP3s. The top line is producing circuits much faster than the bottom line can use them, and I have other needs for advanced circuits. So I thought, what if I can have some sort of signal that turns on only when the whole belt is full of circuits, which then turns on an inserter into a provider chest? That would mean I won't have to produce another line for advanced circuits just in the case that I need some. If I want to make a new factory that also needs advanced circuits, I'll have a dedicated line for it, but I occasionally need to craft stuff myself with advanced circuits. That takes too long and I think that this setup would work better, if possible.

I've tried this by extending the belt and putting a normal inserter at the end, but that just sucks up all the circuits without allowing it to buffer in case a new batch of filter inserters comes in.

So in short: I want to have some kind of device near the beginning of the belt, that emits a circuit network signal when the belt is full of advanced circuits. This signal turns on an inserter, which puts the circuits into a provider chest.

My questions are, is this possible, and what device do I need for this?

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Import excess items to logistics network

Post by mexmer »

yes, you can link inserter to belt, at place you want to see as "end of buffer".

for example, you can connect it to belt piece bellow circuit factory on right edge, and set it co condition, if there is more than 2 pieces of circuit board (mind belt segment can technically hold up to 8 items, eg. 4 on each half of belt, but practically, they never perfect aligned, so you can say 3 piece per each side of belt is "normal" full belt, so more than 2 is you full condition, since you use only half of belt).

you will need to use electric poles to extend logic wire cable to inserter at end of belt, since logic wires have limited reach.

don't have factorio here, so just idea pic
pic
also what i do, is use splitter and branch into box, but that would not fit into your compact design.

Foxite
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Import excess items to logistics network

Post by Foxite »

That worked, thanks.

Return to “Gameplay Help”