Introduction & Lost

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Oldwolf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Introduction & Lost

Post by Oldwolf »

Hello fellow Makers, Engineers, Scientists, Explorers & Gamers in general,

I am called Oldwolf, good to meet you all.

I acquired Factorio very recently and have been fascinated ever since with the game's complexity and simplicity all at once! I watched zero tutorials and haven't been to these forums, until now that is, to get help in any way.

My factories probably look like organic "mash-ups" compared to the no doubt hyper logical builds of the games "long time" Veterans. Long time being relevant to the alpha & beta's launch.

My problem is I am stuck. I can't figure out how to get Petroleum, Light Oil & Heavy Oil into barrels.

I got crude into barrels no fuss no muss but the same assembler does not do the trick and I seem to be lost.

A little help here will get me gong again.

Keep on Truckin' o/

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Introduction & Lost

Post by prg »

That's not possible at the moment in the vanilla game. Universal barrelling is on the roadmap for 0.15. Maybe you can find a mod that implements this for the current version already.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Yeah all you can do for now is have your oil production close to whatever needs it and just pipe it all where it needs to go =/ currently the biggest hinder (in vanilla) of modular base designs (which is where you have items brought it on a train, crafted into something and put back onto another train so you have little bases all over instead of one big one).

0.15 will probably be out some time next year, probably February.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

As mentioned this will be implemented in 0.15, for now you can use this mod: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/jockeril/fluid-barrel

But remember it's advisable to complete your first game (I assume) using only vanilla techniques, and piping oil and its different fluids around is a nice challenge in itself, which you would lose using this mod. (Admittedly, it will be considered vanilla in 0.15 though :D)
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

I like using cisterns more, but i admit for short distance, train is not optimal. For short distance just pipes is enough.

Oldwolf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Oldwolf »

Thanks!

But I was unclear of my intent. I just need to figure out how to fuel my car & Trains as they are collecting rust at the moment lol.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Oldwolf wrote:But I was unclear of my intent. I just need to figure out how to fuel my car & Trains as they are collecting rust at the moment lol.
You can't directly fuel them with petroleum, light or heavy oil, no matter if barrelled or not.

You can fill them with the same stuff you fill stone furnaces, burner mining drills and boilers: wood, coal, or solid fuel/rocket fuel made from oil.
(Also wooden chests and small electric poles, if you're desperate).

See this for a detailed list on fuel: https://wiki.factorio.com/Fuel
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Yeesss... Fun that "Diesel Locomotives" run on wood, coal or solid fuel rather than, you know, diesel, but that's Factorio for you xP
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Yeesss... Fun that "Diesel Locomotives" run on wood, coal or solid fuel rather than, you know, diesel, but that's Factorio for you xP
Hah! So true. :mrgreen:

Welcome to Factorio Oldwolf!
Game long and prosper. \V/

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Yeesss... Fun that "Diesel Locomotives" run on wood, coal or solid fuel rather than, you know, diesel, but that's Factorio for you xP
i think there is mod that allows "electric" locomotives, you just need to put battery or generator to equipment grid. i'm just lazy to search for that. i tested it for moment, but then left it, not sure why ....

Return to “Gameplay Help”