Putting items inside a chest in the map editor

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Marijn R
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Putting items inside a chest in the map editor

Post by Marijn R »

I've been trying to make a map for myself, in which i get to skip some of the boring parts of the early game by putting some things into a chest. Unfortunatly this doesnt work. Ive tried looking up scenario's on the wiki. Such page does not exist. Ive tried looking up inventories, such page does not exist. Eventually i found a page where it says you should deselect and then left click the chest. This does not work either. I can press T and i get some options for the chest, but not editing the contents. I understand scenario's are something new, and some things might not be in the game, but i'd think putting things in a chest at the start would be something people would use a lot.

Can any one exactly point out how to put items into a chest in scenario/map editor?

*edit
Nvm, found out i was stupid enough to not realize that there is this tiny difference between entities and items. Maybe a board admin could be so kind as to delete this entire post so we can pretend it never happened?
Last edited by Marijn R on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sholcomb101
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Putting items inside a chest in the map editor

Post by sholcomb101 »

I am not sure how to actually put stuff in a chest but what I have done is just seed a bunch of stuff on the ground and then just pick it up when the game loads and place it where I want it.

Marijn R
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Marijn R »

Yeah, i've tried that too, and it works fine with a few items, but when you want to place down stacks of things, it becomes a issue. Not to mention its hard to place exactly the correct amount of items.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

If you're not trying to get achievements this way (tut tut) you could check out the Accelerated Start mod. Doesn't seem to be customisable but you could probably edit the mod files.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Marijn R
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Marijn R »

Tried to install that and it comes up with "Selected mod has no released version". So it wont get installed. So i cant exactly test it unfortunatly...

*edit: Its for the 1.4.5 updated version and not compatible with my current install. Updating to the latest experimental build doesnt actually allow specifics to be put in about the items you start with it. Going into the files and editing them manually allows that, but it also means you have to be running the exact same modpack as Arumba, unless you edit the files entirely. Not exactly what i was looking for.

A chest, in scenario, edit its contents, seems so simple.

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

Marijn R wrote:
(...) A chest, in scenario, edit its contents, seems so simple.
It wasn't clear to me whether or not you succeeded, so here's my description:

- In the editor, go to Entities and select the Cursor (the white hand icon).
- Now, pick a chest and put it on the map with a Right-click.
- Hit Q to deselect the chest that your cursor is showing.
- Now Right-click the chest on the map to bring up its own item selection window. From here you can add anything you want.

That should work. :)

Return to “Gameplay Help”