Is there a game engine limit to how fast an assembler can craft?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
RoosterBrewster
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Is there a game engine limit to how fast an assembler can craft?

Post by RoosterBrewster »

Is there a theoretical limit to how fast an assembler can craft within the game engine? It seems to be limited at 60 crafts/s.

I have been playing with the Krastorio 2 mod on 0.18.17 and in there, there are "advanced" assemblers and additional beacons. The advanced assembler has a base crafting speed of 5 and with vanilla beacons plus mod beacons, I can boost the crafting speed to 86.25. However, if I try to make copper cables without productivity modules (same as vanilla recipe with craft time of 0.5s), the output is limited to exactly 120 copper cables per second instead of 345 (2 CC * 86.25 craft speed/0.5 craft time). With faster belts (90/s) and loaders, the input is always maxed to 240 copper plates and the output stays at 2, so there is no issue with input or output. The output rate stays the same even if I remove beacons until I get go lower than a crafting speed of 30.

I don't believe there is a way to test this in vanilla since you can't get to a crafting rate of 60/s on any recipe.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Is there a game engine limit to how fast an assembler can craft?

Post by Jap2.0 »

Yes, the hard limit is 1 recipe per tick (60/s).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I think the limit is one cycle per tick ,and by cycle i mean 1 receipe completed.

at base speed there is 60 tick in a second. ( games update "things" 60 times per second, assembler is a "thing" )

But then one cycle can yield several products depending on the receipe and productivity of the machine. ( 60 craft can yield 120+ item i.e. copper cable )

If you set speed to 0.5, then you only have 30 tick per second. if you set speed to 2, then 120 ticks per second which would translate to 30 craft/sec or 120 craft per second.

(Jap2.0 was faster ! )

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

RoosterBrewster wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:26 pm
Is there a theoretical limit to how fast an assembler can craft within the game engine? It seems to be limited at 60 crafts/s.

I have been playing with the Krastorio 2 mod on 0.18.17 and in there, there are "advanced" assemblers and additional beacons. The advanced assembler has a base crafting speed of 5 and with vanilla beacons plus mod beacons, I can boost the crafting speed to 86.25. However, if I try to make copper cables without productivity modules (same as vanilla recipe with craft time of 0.5s), the output is limited to exactly 120 copper cables per second instead of 345 (2 CC * 86.25 craft speed/0.5 craft time). With faster belts (90/s) and loaders, the input is always maxed to 240 copper plates and the output stays at 2, so there is no issue with input or output. The output rate stays the same even if I remove beacons until I get go lower than a crafting speed of 30.

I don't believe there is a way to test this in vanilla since you can't get to a crafting rate of 60/s on any recipe.
like i mentioned on discord, you should try Schall's Scaled Recipes. they overcome this limitation by scaling the number of items and time required for crafting by a multiple.

Return to “Gameplay Help”