Spidertron buff

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
AmericanPatriot
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Spidertron buff

Post by AmericanPatriot »

micromario wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:40 pm
You can modify spidertron speed
I'm the author of Tarantulator and I was able to make it slower than Spidertron
All you need to do is increase the initial_movement_speed and movement_acceleration properties for the spidertron leg prototypes
ptx0 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:31 pm
spidertron's strength is in numbers and the fact they are remote controllable.

make a group of them, outfit a few with lasers, some with rockets, some energy shields, roboports and repair packs. send them out. they don't even need exoskeletons, because they'll make it there eventually.

saying that end-game people won't use it is kinda weird because there's a whole military tech tree that is basically ignored by most megabase builders. a lot of people don't use combat robots, spidertron will probably be another one of those.
Why exactly does anyone want it slow? How is making it faster bad exactly?
:D

Serenity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Serenity »

I agree that it could be faster. It's fine for walking around in the base and remote controlled maybe, but it's painful to manually walk to more distant enemy bases

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

ptx0 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:27 pm
this sounds like a perfect solution for the mods that you don't have a problem with. you should try TagToTeleport mod, and just stop walking around the map altogether.
Thanks for the tip, maybe I try it.

I have no problems with mods but there is clearly many players who have. Therefore it would be better to have more options for combat, multiplayer competition and megabase building oriented players. They will always be contradicting playstyles and there will not be single agreement which is best balance for all groups.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

ptx0 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:31 pm
spidertron's strength is in numbers and the fact they are remote controllable.

make a group of them, outfit a few with lasers, some with rockets, some energy shields, roboports and repair packs. send them out. they don't even need exoskeletons, because they'll make it there eventually.
What I have seen in videos remote control is not practical. You have to command every move to every unit by yourself which needs continuous concentration. I would understand remote control better if there were some kind of clever automation. At least I should be able to define a route which spidertron would follow and set commands for different parts of route, like kill all enemy units you see, activate construction bots, train like wait commands so that spidertron could come to base, leave wood, stone and other scrap and fill inventory with building material, and go automatically back to construction work. I hope that devs have some ideas like this to get spidertron really interesting and useful endgame tool.

AmericanPatriot
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ptx0 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:26 pm
it's not a problem to me, i like the balance how it is. if you like to play vanilla, play vanilla. don't come here to complain about balancing decisions you can take care with a mod?
The balancing subforum is not a place for mod suggestions.

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

+1 on speed increase for spidertron.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Nothing is more lame in a game than an almighty weapon.

Perfect task for mods.

Looks stupid if running that fast.

If your base is that big use other mods. Like teleportation. Or just use trains.

Use concrete to run faster.

... many more reasons ...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

AmericanPatriot
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ssilk wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:04 am
Nothing is more lame in a game than an almighty weapon.

Perfect task for mods.

Looks stupid if running that fast.

If your base is that big use other mods. Like teleportation. Or just use trains.

Use concrete to run faster.

... many more reasons ...
We don’t want an almighty weapon. We just want it to have the ability to go at least as fast as the player can. How can you know that it would look stupid if it went fast? Isn’t that a matter of opinion anyway?
The problem isn’t that moving around the base is too hard, the problem is one of the intended uses of the spidertron: riding in it as a vehicle, is not able to be used because there is a balancing issue. If I just wanted a way to move faster, I would have put this in the ideas and suggestions forum. This is an issue with game balance, so I put it in the balancing subforum.

Return to “Balancing”