Portable Fusion Reactor visual appearance in relation of visual totality of game

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
User avatar
SunWolf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:09 am
Contact:

Re: Portable Fusion Reactor visual appearance in relation of visual totality of game

Post by SunWolf »

starlinvf wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:20 pm
SunWolf wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:55 am
5thHorseman Factorio is video game, not only logical-craft game. i dont even tried to play many games because they look incorrect, infatile etc.
visual projections are very important. if you dont care about visuality, you miss so much in life.
That sounds like a "you" problem then an actual game problem. All works of fiction require a level suspension of disbelief. And it deeply bothers me how despite being inherently subjective, people try to treat their individual thresholds as an objective truth.

Having grown up in the peak of nerd culture from the 90s, I both recognize how the tropes and references of that era are just as much a call back and life extension of tropes from eras that came before, as those from the 90s influence ours today. And more so now then any time before, that past fiction now actively shapes our reality, as our technological and philosophical advances continue to close the gap between the mundane and the fantastic. Many Science Fiction authors developed ideas and theories that we are NOW able to test and refine as a non-fictional concept. A surprising number of which are scientifically plausible, as the once fantastical elements are now being put into "hard science" equations.


To dismiss anything without just cause is ultimately narrowing your world view. So while you speak as though these things are beneath you, its deeply ironic you defend your position with how fiction is arbitrary. Because understand, the way you presenting your argument..... you're complaint effectively boils down to an interpretation of iconography, about an abstract representation, of an abstract concept, in an imprecise simulation, because you don't think its "correct" enough.

And thats not even touching upon your greatest sin in the matter..... Not even giving an example of what you believe to be a better alternative, so a debate of merits can actually be held. But I guess dogma passes for logic now days; so I shouldn't be that surprised.

It has nothing to do with subjective perception or Human Faith, its pure visual logic, i repeating VISUAL logic, not gameplay logic.You missed so big in understanding me and made elepthan from ant.
1.All good games must have good visual unity and logic.
2.If one element of game has some ilogical existence in game totality, it distrubts game totality somehow, even if its visual illogicality.
3. My all this subject axis was to show that one in-game element "Fusion Reactor" has futurustical IMAGE compared to rest dark mechanical game VISUALITY. wich impacts game visual life solidity in bad way.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:20 am
Contact:

Re: Portable Fusion Reactor visual appearance in relation of visual totality of game

Post by netmand »

SunWolf wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:29 am
1.Your Thoughts ?
Although I have doubts that this is an issue I do believe that this topic deserves discussion. Visual congruity is important but only in a broad sense. The fish has no visual style and the assembly machines have a style that to me is uniquely Factorio. To me there's no "retro", "neo", "futuristic" going on here. They are just industrial, factory-like.

So now we come to the Portable Fusion Reactor. Which does have a style of its own (outside Factorio) but only because of its background. Must everything in the game be strict in its style between each other?

User avatar
SunWolf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:09 am
Contact:

Re: Portable Fusion Reactor visual appearance in relation of visual totality of game

Post by SunWolf »

netmand wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:24 pm
SunWolf wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:29 am
1.Your Thoughts ?
Although I have doubts that this is an issue I do believe that this topic deserves discussion. Visual congruity is important but only in a broad sense. The fish has no visual style and the assembly machines have a style that to me is uniquely Factorio. To me there's no "retro", "neo", "futuristic" going on here. They are just industrial, factory-like.

So now we come to the Portable Fusion Reactor. Which does have a style of its own (outside Factorio) but only because of its background. Must everything in the game be strict in its style between each other?
Well, this is game and of course, not everything must be absolute realistical. but then some of game elements, have visual diffrence when it rise a question, why does one element have such futuristical power and other elements is dark, mechanical, prime industrial science age ? why all technology dont have futuristical science progression or visuality? this is small detail, but factorio have aim to polish it to perfection. and if game have that visual logic correct, it gonna do just good to game.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 6634
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am
Contact:

Re: Portable Fusion Reactor visual appearance in relation of visual totality of game

Post by Koub »

This is purely a matter of taste. I really like the reference, and nothing will change my mind about the fact that it is cool. If it were a balancing issue, there could be some debate, but visual apparence is a matter of taste, so it's "I like it" vs "I don't like it". Or "it doesn't fit" vs "It fits well enough". And there is absolutely no way to tell one wrong because there is no wrong one, just a choice.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Post Reply

Return to “Balancing”