Reduce stack sizes of buildings

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Reduce stack sizes of buildings

Post by Align »

I was pleased to discover that Roboports have a stack size of 5 so I can put them into a passive provider chest and build automatically without massively overproducing them like a stack size of 50 would have, so I'd just like it if other buildings got a similar treatment, though stack size 10 would probably be more appropriate. Assemblers, furnaces, refineries...
The option to enable more slots in the chest they're being put in (and using larger chests if need be) still exists, so this doesn't seem like it would have any downsides.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Reduce stack sizes of buildings

Post by Boogieman14 »

Smart players use smart inserters for this very purpose :twisted: I would actually propose to increase the stacksize of roboports to match whatever it is for other structures.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

dopefish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dopefish »

Boogieman14 wrote:Smart players use smart inserters for this very purpose :twisted: I would actually propose to increase the stacksize of roboports to match whatever it is for other structures.
I hate to be contrary, but I agree with Boogie. Smart Inserters already perfectly control the amount of structures you produce with ease, and the stack size of five is uncomfortable with the small inventory the player has, grabbing and placing 100 roboports usually means I have to unload a bunch of stuff from my inventory.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

The real question is: Why the hell should you place 100 roboports??? o_O
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

dopefish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dopefish »

Nova wrote:The real question is: Why the hell should you place 100 roboports??? o_O
Why not? :D The sky is the limit!

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

I agree and disagree with boogie.
Use smart inserters, that is a definite.

But i have a "engineering" train that has a single slot of roboports, Its a train used to make the rails to an outpost, And have all the items required to build a large outpost.
5 as a stack is plenty for a single slot, especially because you can just shift-click to ghost a bunch down that your network can place themself. I don't want 50 or 100 roboports in my engineering train, i only need 5. Any more and its unnecessary production, especially at an early stage.
(i have requester chests putting roboports into the train wagon, of which you can't smart insert)
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:I agree and disagree with boogie.
Use smart inserters, that is a definite.

But i have a "engineering" train that has a single slot of roboports, Its a train used to make the rails to an outpost, And have all the items required to build a large outpost.
5 as a stack is plenty for a single slot, especially because you can just shift-click to ghost a bunch down that your network can place themself. I don't want 50 or 100 roboports in my engineering train, i only need 5. Any more and its unnecessary production, especially at an early stage.
(i have requester chests putting roboports into the train wagon, of which you can't smart insert)
Totally agree with the point here. I have a "resupply train" for outposts that I'm setting up. The only limit you can make on the train car is how many slots to use, not how many are in the destination. There are a couple ways of resolving this that I have though about but one stands out to me as the best. Make a "circuit train car". These special cars roll into stations and connect to nearby electric poles that have the same color circuit network. That would allow the same logic as smart inserters to handle the limit and follows the current game logic.

If I get around to it I'll put a post in the suggestions thread about this and the issue it's attempting to resolve.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

when I'm modding things, I tend to need to increase stack sizes of buildings.

This is because of 2 points:
1. Automation means inserters want to have at least twice as many items in a factory than is needed to run the production once.
2. Inserter stack size bonuses will mean an inserter tries to carry 5 at once.

combine these two, and when there is only 1 items left in the factory, it will try to insert more. in the case of buildings, and even trains, when it tries to insert 5 more, the total inserted is 6. since the stack limit is 5, the inserter keeps one in its hand, and gets jammed, waiting for space to be made. if the same inserter carries more than just the building/train, then the production stalls. To avoid the possibility of this happening, I increase stack sizes of such objects to 10.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

bobingabout wrote:when I'm modding things, I tend to need to increase stack sizes of buildings.

This is because of 2 points:
1. Automation means inserters want to have at least twice as many items in a factory than is needed to run the production once.
2. Inserter stack size bonuses will mean an inserter tries to carry 5 at once.

combine these two, and when there is only 1 items left in the factory, it will try to insert more. in the case of buildings, and even trains, when it tries to insert 5 more, the total inserted is 6. since the stack limit is 5, the inserter keeps one in its hand, and gets jammed, waiting for space to be made. if the same inserter carries more than just the building/train, then the production stalls. To avoid the possibility of this happening, I increase stack sizes of such objects to 10.
If we're talking about changing things in the base game, a better fix would be to make inserters not take more items than fit in the destination.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

base game changes is the point of this topic.
my changes usually only up the stacks to 10, a minor change.

your sugestion is actually a good idea too.

The only real instance this could be seen in effect in the game (because of building tiers) is assembly machines if you reduced their stack sizes. so as the game works now (without modding, because if a mod increases inserter stack size bonuses, that makes it even worse), the smallest stack size you can reduce assembly machines to, keeping the curret "10 base" stack sizes is 10.

unrelated note: you call it 10 base, I call it british currency base. currency increments goes 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 etc, same as this factorio system, the only other currency I'm familier with is American, and even then barely, but I know they have a 25 instead of a 20, known as a "Quater", so it doesn't work for this system.
I also have a Patreon.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

The system you are looking for is exponential, approximately 10^(x÷3)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

so thats where you get the 10, 22, 47 system as used in electronics.
I also have a Patreon.

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

In case Align or anybody else is still interested, I wrote a quick mod for this.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=8824
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

@bobbing: May I point to preferred numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferred_number

I took that from this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 975#p23977

We will be able to look into the trains, about the current numbers of items loaded with the circuit network update planned in 0.12. There are already mods, which enables to use it. So the argument from Marconos and Obama looses much of its weight. (No offencement)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

No offense taken. I'm very pleased we are going to be able regulate the number of items in train cars. That is exactly what I'm looking for. Anywhere else in the game I use smart inserters.

Return to “Balancing”