On biter richness increasing with distance

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

On biter richness increasing with distance

Post by Align »

It would be cool if it was possible to pack up and leave the starting location, especially once the small plane is in the game so you can just fly over all the ocean and biters, but right now this is impractical at best due to enemy difficulty increasing as you get further from the start spot.

Still, if enemies never got more difficult than the starting nests, it would be too easy to just wipe out the nearest ones that are any sort of threat and then drive out and pick them off at your leisure. So we'd need some other mechanic that serves the same purpose of making increasingly good military tech necessary, or at least tweak an existing one to the same end.

Any ideas?

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: On biter richness increasing with distance

Post by xnmo »

What does the biter richness setting even do? Size and frequency makes sense but its not like they keep a pot of gold in their nests and say "Oh no not me lucky charms!" when you steal from them.

I'm guessing it has to do with spawning medium and and big biters and worms but I thought that was what the evolution factor was for. I thought they all started out small no matter how far you went and only got bigger later on, which if this is case I would indeed like a setting to tweak this kind of thing in detail. A multiplier for how fast they evolve would be helpful as well, for example if on hard difficulty settings and you want to be able to clear out nests early on without running into big biters 5 hours in.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Richness is better phrased as Density.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

lxl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lxl »

I'd guess that richness influences the number of artefacts when you "mine" them.

Return to “Balancing”