Actual victory pole

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Noobc0re
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Actual victory pole

Post by Noobc0re »

The removal of power poles blocking alien spread really ruined the game for me.

What I'd love to see is an actual victory pole, that you can place that will prevent alien settling in a radius around it.

inb4 peaceful mode, it's not the same.

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Actual victory pole

Post by Mendel »

It is called a laser turret :twisted:

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

i don't see the need of a victory pole. glad it was removed.

wall off areas and protect them with lasers/robo-ports & construction bots.
more, and larger water areas help. they can't make spawners, if they can't get to an area.

Noobc0re
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Noobc0re »

impetus maximus wrote:i don't see the need of a victory pole. glad it was removed.

wall off areas and protect them with lasers/robo-ports & construction bots.
more, and larger water areas help. they can't make spawners, if they can't get to an area.
Well, I have a need.

Walling doesn't help as they just break it down, and lasers are too late game and use up a lot of resource. Also you're not guaranteed to have so much water areas so it's easy to wall off.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

What you describe is about play-style and it looks, that you are playing too fast. :)

Also moved to balancing.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

obuw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by obuw »

Interesting, so there was some code preventing aliens from settling near your power poles, and now it has been removed? So aliens can randomly spread to areas near your power poles and inadvertently attack them now?

Putting laser turrets near every single power pole is obviously not realistic, and this really hurts people playing with mods like RSO. I haven't actually had any biters attacking my power poles yet, but if it's as bad as you say it is, I guess long range power transfer would no longer be viable and it would be safer to have each outpost generate its own power. (I try to do that every now and then anyway, just for fun).
Obuw's Warfare - Combat improvements

Noobc0re
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Noobc0re »

obuw wrote:Interesting, so there was some code preventing aliens from settling near your power poles, and now it has been removed? So aliens can randomly spread to areas near your power poles and inadvertently attack them now?

Putting laser turrets near every single power pole is obviously not realistic, and this really hurts people playing with mods like RSO. I haven't actually had any biters attacking my power poles yet, but if it's as bad as you say it is, I guess long range power transfer would no longer be viable and it would be safer to have each outpost generate its own power. (I try to do that every now and then anyway, just for fun).
I don't think aliens will attack the power pole as it doesn't create pollution. Unless they're in their attack-mode and the pole is in the way.

But yes, they used to prevent aliens from settling near them, which they no longer prevent.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

It used to be that aliens wouldn't settle within a certain proximity of any player-built structure, and so just placing a grid of cheap power poles spaced that far apart would block them from considering an entire area for settlement. People called these "victory poles".

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

According to dev's (I don't remember actual changelog) biters should not attack anything thats not producing pollution. So your rail lines should be safe.
In my current game it seems to work - attacks are on outposts not on rail lines connecting them.

Return to “Balancing”