Crafting speed too high?

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Crafting speed too high?

Post by Mylon »

(Preface: all of this applies before blueprints are used)

All of the inserters craft nearly instantly. With a mod like HandyHands, there really is no need to make an inserter production chain for building. Also, a single assembly plant 2 assembler can sustain building for a good long while. Maybe these things need to take a little longer to craft to encourage building production chains for them.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Crafting speed too high?

Post by bobingabout »

I think my main reason to make a production chain for them is to automate research.
I do eventually make an inserter plant (Because I add more inserters in my mods and it does actually take a while to produce the top tier one, not to mention some of the components can't be hand crafted, so you have to carry around more junk) but that's usually later when I have robotics, so I just plonk down an assembling machine with an input and output chest, and go.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

Mylon wrote:(Preface: all of this applies before blueprints are used)

All of the inserters craft nearly instantly. With a mod like HandyHands, there really is no need to make an inserter production chain for building. Also, a single assembly plant 2 assembler can sustain building for a good long while. Maybe these things need to take a little longer to craft to encourage building production chains for them.
A good reason to build a production chain is so that you can produce them without taking up your hand-crafting slots. Insterters are used a lot, after all, and that production time adds up.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Would probably need to be balanced with a mod but severely reducing inventory slots or preferably stack size in the player's inventory would make more sense. This can be offset with vehicular modules so that outposts and such can be built from your car or tank thus you don't need to carry around 300 mining drills, 1,000 belts and all those defence and misc items.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

It never made sense to me that complex machines like inserters and assemblers could be crafted at the click of your fingers

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

The crafting times on inserters and assembly machines could be increased, annoys me a little I would need like 20 Iron Gear assemblers to keep up with one and they are a little to easy to make in all senses.

However the crafting times of the player need to stay where they are. If they are made slower to any significant degree, it would be far too painful to craft the science packs required for Automation 1. And for newbies who don't know to get that one first, it would be even more painful.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

Mylon wrote:With a mod like HandyHands, there really is no need to make an inserter production chain for building.
But you don't design a game based on how it works with a mod, that is putting the cart before the horse. A game is designed to play smoothly in and of itself, with certain allowances knowing it can and will be modded, and then it is up to the mod maker or user to change it the way they want it to be if they are unsatisfied.

Making inserters in an assembly machine is actually slow enough that in my science production chain I need to use two assemblers for each inserter type that is used, and keep a buffer of 2-4 stacks for each type that I use in building, so I can grab some if I need more than is convenient to carry around the materials for until bots come into play.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

Handyhands only automatically crafts stuff for you. You already can already queue up an hour worth of handcrafting if you really wanted to. Handy Hands just saves you that planning step.

Still, inserters can be made faster than the gears they're made out of. Which seems kinda silly and it reduces the need to make an inserter assembler.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

no please dont slow down the new player experience any more.

this may be appropriate for later inserters, but not for the first ones... the early game should not have players waiting around doing nothing for long periods of time. items dependant on the blue factory and later can take longer because its a way of telling people to start using factories, but basics, yellow/blue/red inserters should be excluded due to their early game use.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

I believe that inserters, assembly machines and belt are all at 0.5 because it enables hand crafting for that period after you get the first couple of assembly machines but before you get blueprints & bots.

I personally don't run round with assembled machines and inserter arms but stacks of gears, iron and green circuits, all the ingredients needed to produce your "starter" base. When I need something I craft it. As most of my inventory is full of belt, keeping stacks of all the inserters, both assembly machines, chests, underground belt, splitters etc is impractical as you always ends up with stacks of 2-3 items. If you craft it as you need it your inventory remains clean.

Return to “Balancing”