Intermediate fluids as items

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
EstebanLB
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Intermediate fluids as items

Post by EstebanLB »

I believe that the biggest issue so far is that there are many producs that needs to be crafted at chemical plants just because one or two of the ingredients require a liquid or a gas. What I think suits best the gameplay is that most of those ingredients should be able to be contained in a tank or a barrel but with the capacity of just one unit. Chemical plants should do just that, refine fluids to convert them into some other fluid, not manufacture intermediate or finished products like engines or circuits.
The problem is that if we need to craft empty barrels to transport crude oil, de we need to craft empty containers for just one unit of intermediate fluid? Can we have the chemical plants output the finished fluid as item into a magic-noncraftable container?
So I propose using contained fluids as items past the 3 basic oil products, thus making Sulfuric Acid and Lubricant output as items, not liquid so we can craft all the derivative products in assembling machines. Plastic bars, sulfur and the explosives(compound?) make sense that are made in chemical plants, the others doesn't.

What do you think?

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Intermediate fluids as items

Post by immibis »

Alternatively, let assembling machines connect to pipes.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

immibis wrote:Alternatively, let assembling machines connect to pipes.
That is the plan for new assembling machine 2 and 3. Not sure when it is coming, but it is. This would be used for recipes like: barrel loading / unloading, electric engine units, etc.

EstebanLB
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EstebanLB »

slpwnd wrote:
That is the plan for new assembling machine 2 and 3. Not sure when it is coming, but it is. This would be used for recipes like: barrel loading / unloading, electric engine units, etc.
I hope that it won't make the game too difficult by doing it that way because the pipes are not so efficient like the inserters which only take the necessary items from the chest depending on the recipe selected in the assembly machine. But what I know for sure is that having all those pipes going into the assembly lines will force us to think different ways to do the layout of the complex, especially the compact ones
Restructuring will also be a problem because the fluid cannot be recovered when deconstructing a loaded pipe or assembly machine, that's why I thought of having the intermediate fluids as items, it brings so many solutions with so little effort

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

EstebanLB wrote:
slpwnd wrote:
I hope that it won't make the game too difficult by doing it that way because the pipes are not so efficient like the inserters which only take the necessary items from the chest depending on the recipe selected in the assembly machine. But what I know for sure is that having all those pipes going into the assembly lines will force us to think different ways to do the layout of the complex, especially the compact ones
Restructuring will also be a problem because the fluid cannot be recovered when deconstructing a loaded pipe or assembly machine, that's why I thought of having the intermediate fluids as items, it brings so many solutions with so little effort
I don't think they want fluids to be exactly the same as items... if they did they'd just make them items instead. Loss is an unavoidable thing when working with fluids. Good thing they're infinite!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yes, that is true, we made fluids because we wanted to have the player think about different setups, with transport belts, inserters and pipes on top of it.
If we made all the intermediate fluids as items, it would be the same like before, just combining assembling machines and transport belts.

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sir Nick »

slpwnd wrote:
And then what will the difference be between chemplant and AM2,3?

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Sir Nick wrote:
slpwnd wrote:
Chem plants process chemicals. Assembling machines assemble things, some of which require chemicals.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Sir Nick wrote:
slpwnd wrote:
AM2,3 don't have pipe outputs.

AlexPhoenix
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlexPhoenix »

sure, what diference will be?
just assembler machine with another name?

at now, chemical plant is coded as very flexible assembler machine, which can accept both liquids and items.

fluid as items for transport belts?
nah, i'm agains that, this will ruin realistics part, barrels(but need for all) is enough.
or may be i dont understand idea?

what can be done exactly with saving reality is allow AM to accept liquids for recipes, but via pipes as must be.

EstebanLB
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EstebanLB »

kovarex wrote:Yes, that is true, we made fluids because we wanted to have the player think about different setups, with transport belts, inserters and pipes on top of it.
If we made all the intermediate fluids as items, it would be the same like before, just combining assembling machines and transport belts.
Ok, you convinced me there and left me happy with that argument but it makes me wonder about the new assembling machine graphics, I don’t see any pipe entrance on the sides. Is Albert planning to modify them in the future?

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sir Nick »

AM2,3 don't have pipe outputs.
As posted by slpwnd,
This would be used for recipes like: barrel loading / unloading, electric engine units, etc.
Thus AMs WILL require pipe outputs, if they are to unload barrels.
Chem plants process chemicals. Assembling machines assemble things, some of which require chemicals.
Yeah, that's more like it.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

EstebanLB wrote: Ok, you convinced me there and left me happy with that argument but it makes me wonder about the new assembling machine graphics, I don’t see any pipe entrance on the sides. Is Albert planning to modify them in the future?
In 0.9.2 new assembling machines will have a pipe output (made as a graphical patch) when they need it (that means when they have a recipe that requires it). This will move some recipes from the chemical plant to the assembling machine (electric engine unit, barrel manipulation, processing unit).

EstebanLB
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EstebanLB »

slpwnd wrote:
EstebanLB wrote: Ok, you convinced me there and left me happy with that argument but it makes me wonder about the new assembling machine graphics, I don’t see any pipe entrance on the sides. Is Albert planning to modify them in the future?
In 0.9.2 new assembling machines will have a pipe output (made as a graphical patch) when they need it (that means when they have a recipe that requires it). This will move some recipes from the chemical plant to the assembling machine (electric engine unit, barrel manipulation, processing unit).
Awesome! But what about the batteries? Please, make them craftable at assembling machines not chemical plants! As a rule of thumb I think that if a chemical is not transformed into another chemical, then it belongs to the assembling machine, am I right?

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sir Nick »

slpwnd wrote:
Will it appear at a fixed place, or will we be able to move it? Also, if ever an assembly recipe requiring two liquids comes into being, will the outputs be movable? (The ever-present Refinery Output Hassle)

sciencemile
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sciencemile »

Well, Crude Oil can become an item, so long as you put it in a barrel. It'd be nice if we could use barrels for other liquids as well, if it doesn't mess with your intentions for liquids too much. Liquid Cars for trains would be fine too though but the barrel system already seems to be in place.

Basically I've got in my head the idea of Processing the Crude Oil and then Shipping the three Fuels off to separate facilities; every time I try to have it all connected at one place it's a horrible jumbled labyrinth of pipes :?

robhol
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by robhol »

Agreed. I'm trying to build my first hydrocarbon plant and it's best described as... an unholy abomination. Between the counterintuitive fluid/pipe system, the fact that they block the player etc., they're a bit of a pain. :)
窮屈そうに身を屈めても今じゃ誰もがそうしてる 天井の無いECHO ROOMに誰かが僕を放り込む
君のSPEEDでもって 同じPHRASEを弾いて 冷たい時に寄り添って

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Use the underground pipes. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

need flat walkable pipes ;)

just_dont
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by just_dont »

ssilk wrote:Use the underground pipes. :)
But it's not enough!
Underground pipes are barely enough to get all the required routing, and when you finish laying down all those 4- or 5- pipes T-sections and cross-sections, there's barely enough (or "just not enough") place to walk.

Return to “Balancing”