Vehicle Cargo Sizes

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Vehicle Cargo Sizes

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

I won't attempt to suggest that train cars should hold more because they're so huge. I can see game balance reasons for not allowing them to hold more.

But cars and tanks have monstrous cargo space which seems odd. I have used them to transport goods between bases a few times. There's much more space than is necessary for supplies for a road trip. With a bit of planning as well as usage of your own player inventory, you really don't need 80 slots in the vehicle and I don't see much point in having them.

I think the car should have only 40 slots, and the tank should have only 20 slots. The tank could then be given it two ammo slots for each weapon to make up for some lost ammo space.

Howabout add a truck--like an eighteen-wheeler, which can carry 80 cargo? It could have a machinegun like the car, its speed and maneuverability are somewhere between the tank and car, and its armor is slightly better than the car but mostly it just has more hit points. The campaign mission that has you fill up a car with supplies could be changed to have you fill up a truck instead, or it could reduce the amount of supplies needed for your road trip. I really did find it a bit silly to carry 60 stacks of iron and copper plates when you could instead just carry extractors and furnaces. Anywhere you're gonna set up camp, you can just plop down a simple plate factory. No need to carry them with you. What you want to bring are the steel, ammo, and turrets, and that would fit in my suggested tank cargo.

I just feel like 80 cargo is unnecessarily large for basically a free handout.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Vehicle Cargo Sizes

Post by bobingabout »

I agree with basically everything you said. Though to note, for the campaign, it is possible to set a specific override to give your car 80 slots. So it would appear with 80 in the campaign, but only 40 elsewhere in the game.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Vehicle Cargo Sizes

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

I don't like that idea. I hate games with campaigns that give you false expectations of the game. It would be pretty absurd to make a major point of filling up 80+ units of cargo when the cars in the main game have only half that. Given that later in the campaign you do set up base along your road trip, I really think it makes sense to carry far fewer plates and make most of them on-site.

Maybe the truck has an automatic turret mount weapon: you can't manually fire it, instead it fires automatically so you can focus on driving.

Return to “Balancing”