A new hope-3 minor cheat

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Delta
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

A new hope-3 minor cheat

Post by Delta »

In the campaign 'a new hope', level 3, There is a way to cheat: forget destroying biter bases; just CHARGE with the car to the crash site, grab the computer thing, and you're done. Even if you're about to die. The only thing I would change is making it so the player has to get outside of the nest, or you get someone who thought 'hey, wait a minute...', like me, who wins after doing pretty much nothing.
Last edited by Delta on Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: A new hope-3 minor cheat

Post by Klonan »

Thanks for the report

Hmm... is this a cheat, or a tactic?
At the very least it isn't really a bug, so i will move it to balancing
But i may revisit the scripting for the mission at some point in the future

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

AFAIK (I remember some discussion some years ago about this) this is a valid solution.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Delta
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Delta »

ssilk wrote:AFAIK (I remember some discussion some years ago about this) this is a valid solution.
You remember a similar post? my apologies, I searched but found nothing. probably made the wrong search, or it was in balancing, where it belongs :roll: . My bad!
Also, I call it a bug, because I do not believe it to be supposed to be even a possible solution, and some bugs are just that ;) .

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

The biter base is pretty heavy though, at least when I played it a few months ago. I had to use turrets, grenades and drones while in the car to slowly chunk down spawners and worms, constantly having to repair. It felt like long way of doing things.

When I looked into it the "accepted" solution was to automate drones and grenades production, save up a bunch and charge through to the crash site and grab it. I'm not really sure how you would go about forcing some gameplay, other than maybe require you to complete objectives before obtaining the module.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

That combat mission was never very well designed. A good "boots on the ground" tutorial should work through all the major combat tools and teach the player to set up power armor. It's no good to force the player to build a factory, not without providing some ruins at least. Anything that is too high tech to build should be given (like a damaged modular suit with some solar and shields on a corpse), and some capsules never hurt.

Delta
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Delta »

bobucles wrote:That combat mission was never very well designed. A good "boots on the ground" tutorial should work through all the major combat tools and teach the player to set up power armor. It's no good to force the player to build a factory, not without providing some ruins at least. Anything that is too high tech to build should be given (like a damaged modular suit with some solar and shields on a corpse), and some capsules never hurt.
Yeah. That's why I decided that using this minor cheat was 'enough' to 'beat' the level in my opinion after doing it.
BTW: good ideas! I hope ssilk sees them and relays them.
Also, (off-topic) if you're reading this ssilk, is your username inspired by daved edding's character, silk (prince Kheldar), by any chance?

Return to “Balancing”