Nuclear Artillery Shells (with same explosion as handheld nukes)

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Post Reply
Macca10000
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:09 am
Contact:

Nuclear Artillery Shells (with same explosion as handheld nukes)

Post by Macca10000 »

Proposal: Nuclear Artillery Shells with same explosion effect as handheld nuclear rockets.

Recipe: Nuclear Rockets + 2 x Artillery Shells or perhaps Artillery Shell + Alot of high-grade uranium + explosives (as extra propellant since the warhead is heavier)

These should not be automatically fired, so either the option to disable automatic artillery targeting should be added (is that a separate suggestion?), or make it so a cannon loaded with nuke shells, will not fire automatically.

We need long-range nuclear options.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Nuclear Artillery Shells (with same explosion as handheld nukes)

Post by aka13 »

There is a mod for that, https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Nuclear_Artillery_Shell, and I really enjoyed playing with it. I would absolutely love it in vanilla, does not make sense to me, that nuclear is limited to handheld weapons only.
Also, it would be a very good uranium sink and a reason to invest into serious uranium processing.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1743
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:27 am
Contact:

Re: Nuclear Artillery Shells (with same explosion as handheld nukes)

Post by Qon »

Macca10000 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:35 am
These should not be automatically fired, [...] or make it so a cannon loaded with nuke shells, will not fire automatically.
I disagree. Nuke artillery should definitely also fire automatically.

Adding ways to toggle automatic fire is another suggestion. I would be fine with that, though I don't really see the point. You can just not load artillery turrets automatically and keep them out of automatic range when you want to manually fire for almost all cases.

Use my mod CapsuleAmmo if you want a mod that adds nuke artillery! :D

Napalm Artillery is another cool mod though.

Macca10000
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:09 am
Contact:

Re: Nuclear Artillery Shells (with same explosion as handheld nukes)

Post by Macca10000 »

Qon wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:52 am
Macca10000 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:35 am
These should not be automatically fired, [...] or make it so a cannon loaded with nuke shells, will not fire automatically.
I disagree. Nuke artillery should definitely also fire automatically.

Adding ways to toggle automatic fire is another suggestion. I would be fine with that, though I don't really see the point. You can just not load artillery turrets automatically and keep them out of automatic range when you want to manually fire for almost all cases.

Use my mod CapsuleAmmo if you want a mod that adds nuke artillery! :D

Napalm Artillery is another cool mod though.
They shouldnt automatically fire because the auto fire sends a round for every fixed target in the nest before any rounds have landed , which would be a terrible waste of very expensive to produce munitions. Most nests should only take 1 to 3 well spaced nukes, at least the nests im dealing with currently.

Thanks i will try the mods.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1196
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Nuclear Artillery Shells (with same explosion as handheld nukes)

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Macca10000 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:10 pm
Qon wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:52 am
Macca10000 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:35 am
These should not be automatically fired, [...] or make it so a cannon loaded with nuke shells, will not fire automatically.
I disagree. Nuke artillery should definitely also fire automatically.

Adding ways to toggle automatic fire is another suggestion. I would be fine with that, though I don't really see the point. You can just not load artillery turrets automatically and keep them out of automatic range when you want to manually fire for almost all cases.

Use my mod CapsuleAmmo if you want a mod that adds nuke artillery! :D

Napalm Artillery is another cool mod though.
They shouldnt automatically fire because the auto fire sends a round for every fixed target in the nest before any rounds have landed , which would be a terrible waste of very expensive to produce munitions. Most nests should only take 1 to 3 well spaced nukes, at least the nests im dealing with currently.

Thanks i will try the mods.
There’s already logic in the game to not fire more than needed on targets (to avoid wasted ammo). Not that hard to extend it to include nuke splash vs nests.

User avatar
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 12716
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Nuclear Artillery Shells (with same explosion as handheld nukes)

Post by ssilk »

moved to balancing, leaving a link in suggestions
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1743
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:27 am
Contact:

Re: Nuclear Artillery Shells (with same explosion as handheld nukes)

Post by Qon »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:12 am
There’s already logic in the game to not fire more than needed on targets (to avoid wasted ammo). Not that hard to extend it to include nuke splash vs nests.
I think it already does so for nuke artillery as well. There's no need for manual fire.
Also if someone were worried about losing nukes then why not just use regular artillery which already oneshots everything it targets. It's nice to also kill most of the moving targets but not essential so why not wait with nuke artillery until you can afford it?

Post Reply

Return to “Balancing”