World gen., research

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
HikaruT
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

World gen., research

Post by HikaruT »

google translate, sorry

World generation, research packeges 4lvl, speed of research and notes on the map.

1) World generation.
World Generator has always been strange.
Version 0.12 setting "normally" created is less than setting "low".
For game with low resource settings need to choose the "normal" instead of "low".
Now the setting the rate of the generation of oil and stone is "normal" (0.14) is much lower than setting a "very low" (0.12).

I created a map to the setting of rate of oil is "normal". I played 3 real days. I explored the map for many miles. Oil field was not found. No one. Stone too.
Setting "low" and "very low" reduces the chance of finding oil and stone to zero. I just want to generate a rare oil one at a time.
I just want to generate a rare oil one at a time at a moderately far away from each other.

I realized that I did not create the world that I want. So I decided to do the reverse. I set moderately high settings. And the world is generated with the less settings then "low."
World generator is not working correctly.

2) Research packeges 4lvl.
Too easy.
1 artefact = 10 packeges. I always have many thousands of this artefacts.
We need difficult craft these packets. Each artefact must pass research and of them packages must be carried out. This is logical and realistic.
Should at least change the the amount of produced: 1 artefact = 1 package.

3) Speed of research.
Too fast.
While I have established production and go out into the world to explore and find new resources - half of all research has been complite. This is low-resource settings wealth. For standard or high-resource settings wealth - research fly with the speed of sound.
I think that the research rate should be lower. I think it is necessary to make a separate setting in world generation.

4) Notes on the map.
It would be cool to add the opportunity to take notes on the map: writing and drawing a marker.
This will make planning easier, it allows to mark important places and points, as well as much more.
Like this: http://joxi.ru/KAgP1xjiJXGvrl.png

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: World gen., research

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

1 - World generation is a bit of an oddball. I created my last save with Very Low oil frequency, and I ended up having to use a console command to find a second oil field. Scanning 2048 tiles I think in each direction I found three right up in the corner, so very far away. Once I knew it was there it was fine, reloaded (to reactivate achievements) and built a rail up there. I don't think so much the problem is the frequency (though "very low" could stand to be lower for ores) but actually finding the resources as there isn't any easy way to travel once the car and tank can no longer withstand biters. For your statement that it's not working correctly, you would need to provide evidence in the form of map exchange strings.

2 - Combat isn't a big part of every player's game, on a long casual run I usually find I have about 3,000 artefacts left because I only destroy nests to expand. Your suggestion will really mess with things like speed runs, you need just under 300 artefacts to research everything for the rocket. Requiring 3,000 instead will make the 8 hour achievement much more of a chore. Rather than suggesting a change such as this, I'd recommend coming up with alternative uses for them. Wood, for example, I end up with buckets of it but since I use it to fuel my trains I'm fine with that.

3 - Again see point 2, this greatly affects other areas of the game. If you haven't updated to 0.13 yet there is a bunch more research, robot follower count eventually requires thousands of each type of research pack and it does take a long time, not every player will use robots but it's something to research. If you're still unhappy there is a mod to increase research costs, that's what mods are for, to customise your own experience.

4 - This isn't a balancing request and isn't really a problem for the average player. You can use ghost entities by holding Shift while you lay a machine or object and I tend to have a general idea and just plan around what I've got, using belts to mark out where my furnaces will expand to and such.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “Balancing”