ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Tools for search and installing new mods as well as starting Factorio.
For dedicated server handling see Multiplayer Tools
Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Post by Artentus »

Announcement: ModMyFactory 1 End-of-Life
After stopping development on it it was only a matter of time until this would happen, and the release of Factorio 1.0 is what finally tipped me over.
The original ModMyFactory has so many issues that I can no longer counciously distribute it, which is why I am removing all downloads on the forum and dropping all support for it.
Downloads are still available on GitHub together with the old wiki, however I will not be active there.

Replacing it will of course ModMyFactory 2, the cross-platform rewrite that does fully support all Factorio versions including 1.0.
Be aware though that MMF2 is currently in alpha and therefore still rough around the edges and missing a couple features MMF1 previously had.
Until MMF2 reaches beta you can find information on it here: viewtopic.php?p=496485#p496485
About ModMyFactory 2
License: GPLv3
GitHub: ModMyFactory2
Written in C# targeting .Net Standard 2.0
For used external libraries and resources see 'About'

System requirements
  • Windows 7 SP2/8.1/10 64-Bit
  • Linux Debian 9+/Ubuntu 16.04+/Mint 18+ 64-Bit
  • macOS 10.13 High Sierra+ (not officially supported)
  • For universal release only: .Net 5.0 Runtime
Disclaimer:
The creation of backups is advised before using ModMyFactory, just in case.
The manager has been pretty stable for the last few versions but better safe than sorry.

Download ModMyFactory 2
Downloads for MMF2 will all be delivered through GitHub only as supplying them on the forum is a lot of manual work:
https://github.com/Artentus/ModMyFactory2/releases
Last edited by Artentus on Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:38 am, edited 118 times in total.

DofD
Inserter
Inserter

Re: ModMyFactory - mod manager and more

Post by DofD »

Great program!
Just a small suggestion. Drag and drop for factorio zip versions and mods would be awesome. Thanks

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

Shouldn't be too difficult. I'll see what I can do.

DofD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DofD »

Ohh and if i am at it :D
  • Maybe color coding? So you could mark different mods with colors
  • Search field. It gets very fast crowded in the mod list ;)
  • A direct link to this thread maybe. Makes bug and feature reporting easier
Does the login feature doesnt work atm? If it does do you have a debug option or a debug log?
Thanks

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

At the rate I'm getting new suggestions it will take some time for the next release to be ready. :D

Login should work, at least for me it worked consistently for days (but then again, I only can test with my own login credentials).

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.0.4 released

Post by Artentus »

Features added:
  • Mods and modpacks can now be filtered.
  • New button in version manager to open the Factorio folder.
  • This thread is now linked in the 'Info' menu.
Bugs fixed:
  • Renaming modpacks does now respon to the enter key and to lost focus.
  • All hotkeys containing the Shift key have been changed to avoid confilcts with writing uppercase letters.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.0.5 released

Post by Artentus »

This release fixes a critical bug that caused the application to crash when clicking in the list views without selecting an item.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.0.6 released

Post by Artentus »

Features added:
  • ModMyFactory will now inform you about new updates (can also be checked manually).
Bugs fixed:
  • Factorio versions added from folder will now always show without a restart.

If I don't get any more bug reports in the meantime, the next update will be a bigger one and take some time. At least one of the features on the todo list will be added til then.

Arumba
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Arumba »

Hey Artentus, I really like what you've made so far and I am planning on starting to use it exclusively for my game management. I currently have no fewer than 5 separate factorio installs due to all the different configurations I do for youtube, twitch, solo play, multiplayer, etc. I do have a few questions though if I may pick your brain! (I am also planning on a doing a short tutorial on my channel to teach people how to use this app since I think it is absolutely essential)

What would happen if I launched the game using your modmanager and then used the in game mod portal to 'update mods' ??
Do I have to manually add mods to the program in order to keep up to date?
Why are the "download" and "from folder" buttons greyed out for the add mods dropdown?
Why does the program crash when I try to add a factorio version from folder instead of from zip? (I had to download a fresh standalone x64 0.14.12 to get the app to work)
What sort of encryption is used by the app for the factorio login? (I have, and I imagine others will have, concerns about giving out login credentials to a third party app)

If I understand correctly I think that I can't *really* fully commit to this app until it can update mods for me. I run anywhere from 20-40 mods per pack, and it varies quite a lot between them. I also have concerns about how well it would load up an older version of factorio if its not keeping mod versioning in mind as I update them manually.

*Edit*: Also, if the app could support mod versioning, it would be really nice if you could have a checkbox on a mod or something that would say "load newest version available" so that you could maintain an active archive of mods in case you run into bugs or compatibility issues when updating them.

Thanks for your time and app! I love it so far :)

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

I'd be honored if you were to upload a video about my app.

Concerning your questions
What would happen if I launched the game using your modmanager and then used the in game mod portal to 'update mods' ??
This will work (assuming the game only ever downloads the newest compatible version of a mod instead of the overal newest version; if 0.13 would update to a mod version that was only compatible with 0.14 this would obviously break things but I hope the devs were smart enought to not do this). However, it will remove the updated mods from all modpacks.
At the moment, yes, however once mod downloading is implemented (see my answer to the next question) updating mods will be possible.
Why are the "download" and "from folder" buttons greyed out for the add mods dropdown?
These options are not implemented yet. I am working on it, they will be in the next release which sould be out within a few days.
Why does the program crash when I try to add a factorio version from folder instead of from zip?
Must be a bug. I suspect you used an existing version and something was already inside its folder that ModMyFactory didn't like. If you could give some more information about what version you added you could help me solve this.
What sort of encryption is used by the app for the factorio login?
The login credentials are never saved locally. When communicating with the Server, SSL is used just like in your browser.

I fully understand if you don't want to use this just yet. See the current build as a work in progress, I only released it to get something going real quick because I could not be bothered to switch mods all the time anymore.

Arumba
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Arumba »

I see, thanks for the quick response.
This will work (assuming the game only ever downloads the newest compatible version of a mod instead of the overal newest version; if 0.13 would update to a mod version that was only compatible with 0.14 this would obviously break things but I hope the devs were smart enought to not do this). However, it will remove the updated mods from all modpacks.
Okay so I think I understand. I am not concerned about playing outdated versions of factorio, I always play the newest experimental, so it doesn't sound like the first issue will ever affect me. The second part, it sounds like the app creates modpacks based on the filenames of the mods and then launches based on that? Is that why updating the mod will remove the mod from the pack? Since it changes the version (and name) of the mod? It sounds like getting the next version of your app out will be a pretty significant step toward getting what I am really hoping for then.
At the moment, yes, however once mod downloading is implemented (see my answer to the next question) updating mods will be possible.
These options are not implemented yet. I am working on it, they will be in the next release which sould be out within a few days.
Awesome, I eagerly await that release then!
Why does the program crash when I try to add a factorio version from folder instead of from zip?
Must be a bug. I suspect you used an existing version and something was already inside its folder that ModMyFactory didn't like. If you could give some more information about what version you added you could help me solve this.
I had taken my current install of 0.14.12 (already extracted from zip) and tried to add it to the app using the "add from folder". It invariable crashed for me regardless of which install I used out of my 5. All my installs are 64x zip installs extracted into their own folders inside a parent folder for organization. The only things in there are what comes with it and whatever other folders it creates as you play. Here is a list of the files directly in the folder itself (let me know if you want more info, its a large folder of course but I can make the whole thing available if it helps. (Running windows 7x64)

Code: Select all

achievements-modded.dat
achievements.dat
bin
config
config-path.cfg
crop-cache.dat
data
doc-html
factorio-current.log
factorio-previous.log
mods
player-data.json
saves
script-output
temp
tests
What sort of encryption is used by the app for the factorio login?
The login credentials are never saved locally. When communicating with the Server, SSL is used just like in your browser.

I fully understand if you don't want to use this just yet. See the current build as a work in progress, I only released it to get something going real quick because I could not be bothered to switch mods all the time anymore.
Well that is the exact reason I am so interested in your app. I can't stand keeping 5 separate mod folders up to date and organized. It is a lot of work and honestly we need a Factorio-esque automation for it. Thanks again!

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

I hope I got the error. Pleasy retry adding this Factorio version once the new version is out. If it still crashes, you will now find a crash log in %AppData%\ModMyFactory that will tell me exactly what has gone wrong.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.1.0 released

Post by Artentus »

Features added:
  • Mod downloading and updating.
  • Two different manager modes are now available.
  • 'Latest' is now a valid Factorio version in links and will start the latest available Factorio version.
  • ModMyFactory will now create crash logs in %AppData%\ModMyFactory.
I have noticed that the mods.factorio.com server can sometimes be quite slow, so if ModMyFactory appears to take extremely long downloading/updating mods it's the servers fault.

There are now two different modes available in the settings, 'per Factorio version' and 'global', that control how mods are updated. If you want to just always have the latest versions of Factorio and all mods, choose 'global' and ModMyFactory will always update to the very latest version of a mod. If you want to have different versions of Factorio installed choose 'per Factorio version' and ModMyFactorio will update mods only to the latest Version available for its specific Factorio version.

Because this is the biggest release so far, I suspect there will be a few new bugs. Please report everything you find so I can make ModMyFactory as stable as possible.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.1.1 released

Post by Artentus »

Bugs fixed:
  • Fixed crash when clicking in the mod managers list view.
  • Item controls no longer auto-select items.
  • Modpacks are now sorted alphabetically in the link properties.
  • Fixed a possible bug regarding the asynchronous loading of online mod information.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.1.3 released

Post by Artentus »

Features added:
  • ModMyFactory now also saves position and size of the mod manager and mod downloading windows.
Bugs fixed:
  • Unchecking a mod in the update dialog will now actually not update that mod.
  • When updating mod, the modpacks containing the updated mod are now properly saved.
  • The update notification now redirects to a proper browser-viewable site.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.1.4 released

Post by Artentus »

Bugs fixed:
  • Fixed possible crash when changing the Factorio folder in the settings.

Szentigrade
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Szentigrade »

been waiting for something like this... problem is i have the steam version and can't use it :(

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Artentus »

I think if you own the steam version you are eligible to download from the website, also.
If you don't want to do that, I am already working on the next version which will have support for the Steam version, so you don't have to wait for much longer.

Artentus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Version 1.2.0 released

Post by Artentus »

Features added:
  • The Steam version of Factorio is now supported.
  • Modpacks can now be exported and imported.
Bugs fixed:
  • Fixed misbehaviour with mod containing '_' in their name.
  • Fixed crash when cancelling a mod download.
  • Fixed possible crash when adding Factorio from folder (also applies to Steam version).

With this release I declare ModMyFactory as feature-complete for now. Of course I will still be fixing bugs.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

This is a fantastic program you have put together! I will definitely be using it because, like Arumba and I'm sure many others, I use multiple different versions of Factorio and mod packs/versions. It can get tedious to change them all around manually each time, so your program will be a godsend. :)
I very much look forward to using it, and keep up the great work!
Image Image Image

Return to “Mod and installation managers”