No Graphics mod tool

Tools which are useful for mod development.
RedRafe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

No Graphics mod tool

Post by RedRafe »

"No Graphics" mod is a tool I've been recently using while modding Factorio, especially for data-stage and early gameplay mechanics. It certainly earned a sweet spot among my tools and was crucial when dealing with big mod-packs, otherwise my computer could never have handled those.

This mod (unreleased, but available on GitHub) removes 80-90% of game sprites, allowing to drastically decrease loading times (at least for me, that I'm mainly working on an old laptop).

I've been reluctant on releasing it on the mod portal, both because I feel there's still room for improvement in the code, and because I fear players might add it to their own saves and I don't like that idea.

Here's my personal example on the "performance" boost on my 2015 laptop with integrated graphics dealing with big mod-packs.
Loading times (from launch to main menu):
  • 35.5 s (SpaceExploration)
    22.0 s (SpaceExploration + No Graphics mod)
    = 13.5 s saved
  • 149 s (Pyanodon AlternativeEnergy)
    29 s (Pyanodon AlternativeEnergy + No Graphics mod)
    = 120 s saved

There are many options to get better graphics, but not the opposite. Since this mod is more of a necessity/requirement for me to be able to work, if anyone is interested in contributing, please do. It can still be optimized in a lot of areas, and every speed boost is very welcome!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: No Graphics mod tool

Post by eradicator »

RedRafe wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:10 pm
There are many options to get better graphics, but not the opposite.
Feel free to take inspiration from my (now unmaintained) code https://mods.factorio.com/mod/eradicators-vram-saver
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Development tools”