I've seen some players wondering on how to set up a headless/dedicated server on Windows. For Unix, see this topic.
Setting up a Factorio server using Windows is very easy.
- Go to your Factorio.exe folder (Probably 'C:\Program Files\Factorio\bin\x64\')
- Create a text document and write into it: start Factorio.exe --start-server YOURSAVEGAME.zip
- If you haven't already done, replace YOURSAVEGAME with, guess what, your save game
- Save the file as server.bat. Important: At 'Save as type:' select 'All Files'
- Now you can use the server.bat to start your server. Isn't it easy?
- Forward Ports: You will find detailed instructions for your specific router on the web. Sorry that I can't give detailed infos here
- Now to the most important part: Enjoy your server!
Important: There is no feedback that the server is running except the factorio.exe in the task manager. That means you won't see a window or a console!
This can be changed by adding /wait to the .bat-file, for example:
start /wait Factorio.exe --start-server YOUR_SAVE.zip
Thanks to posila for this information!
If a topic like this already exists, I'm sorry. Just want to help!