Verbose German translations of keyboard keys

Discuss translation contributions here.
ixu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Verbose German translations of keyboard keys

Post by ixu »

The translations for some keyboard and mouse keys are quite verbose and a bit uncool too:
- Steuerungstaste (better: Strg)
- Nummernblock (better: Numpad)
- Position Eins (better Pos1)
An additional problem is that too long texts are cutted off in control settings dialog. There are no tooltips. So there is no chance to learn what the key actually is.
I would love if the translations are close to the text written onto the button on the actual keyboard.
- Control: Strg
- Insert: Einfg
- Delete: Entf
- Home: Pos1
- Alt: Alt
- Windows: Win
- Shift: Umsch
At least omit the word "Taste" im almost all situations - also for mouse buttons.
Mods: ingteb, ixuClock, ixuAutoSave, NoCheating, hardCrafting (Maintainer) and more
Desperately tried to implement redo :)

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Verbose German translations of keyboard keys

Post by valneq »

ixu wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:02 pm
The translations for some keyboard and mouse keys are quite verbose and a bit uncool too:
- Steuerungstaste (better: Strg)
- Nummernblock (better: Numpad)
- Position Eins (better Pos1)
"Uncool" is a very subjective concept. From what I can tell, these are the names of the buttons. Please note: "Numpad" is not even German.
ixu wrote:
An additional problem is that too long texts are cutted off in control settings dialog. There are no tooltips. So there is no chance to learn what the key actually is.
This sounds like a serious problem. Can you provide a screenshot example? It might be a translation issue, or the base game not handling long locale strings gracefully.
ixu wrote:
I would love if the translations are close to the text written onto the button on the actual keyboard.
- Control: Strg
- Insert: Einfg
- Delete: Entf
- Home: Pos1
- Alt: Alt
- Windows: Win
- Shift: Umsch
At least omit the word "Taste" im almost all situations - also for mouse buttons.
The English original does not use "Ctrl" as is written on the keyboard, nor does it omit the "button" from the mouse buttons. Therfore, I don't think we should aim for that in German either.
Whether or not to keep "Taste" for a lot of these buttons is another subjective thing. From what I can see, versions with just "Umschalt" and "Steuerung" existed in the past, but were downvoted on Crowdin. Not by a significant margin, but still. You might be in a minority position on this one. If more people express their preference towards versions without "Taste", we might change that. But for "space bar" and the mouse buttons I don't see how to omit "Taste" without making it incomprehensible.

ixu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ixu »

It seems I attacked you personally. I hadn't intended that. Excuse me.
Mods: ingteb, ixuClock, ixuAutoSave, NoCheating, hardCrafting (Maintainer) and more

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

ixu wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:54 pm
It seems I attacked you personally. I hadn't intended that. Excuse me.
You did not. Sorry if you got that impression. I was merely trying to explain the status quo, and that opinions can differ.
Many of these translations were done before I even started helping out with the translations.

I would still be interested in the cut off text in the controls settings. That needs to be addressed.

ixu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ixu »

valneq wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:07 pm
I would still be interested in the cut off text in the controls settings. That needs to be addressed.
see here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85959
This mod will mitigate the issue: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ShorterGermanKeyNames

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Just a word of caution: With your mitigation mod, you will see funny text in the game.
In particular: the instruction to mine an entity by "halte die Rechte Maus gedrückt".
Or "Rechte Maus, um zu leeren." to clear a keybinding.

After all, the definitions of the key names are used throughout the game to explain the key bindings in the context where you need them.
This is the main reason why I am hesitant towards shortening these strings in the "official" translation of the game.

ixu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ixu »

Thank you for testing.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

ixu wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:53 pm
Thank you for testing.
Testing? I did not test. I just happen to know how the game generates its localized texts ;-)

Return to “Translations”