The discussion revolves around modes of sending signals to the circuit network about items entering a belt or being grabbed by an inserter. Below is a graphical comparison between the modes, which I made to illustrate the difference:
Basically the idea is what would be appropriate alternative name for the following phenomena, instead of the possibly-vague Pulse / Hold:
- Pulse (belt) - The signal is sent for only 1 tick when the item enters the belt.
- Hold (belt) - The signal is sent continuously as long as the items are on the belt.
- Pulse (inserter) - The signal is sent for only 1 tick when the item is picked up.
- Hold (inserter) - The signal is sent continuously as long as the inserter is holding the item.
- Discrete / Continuous (inspired by math)
- Dots / Dashes (inspired by Morse code)
- <anything else you can suggest>