[0.5.0] Terrain generator bugs

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.5.0] Terrain generator bugs

Post by FrozenOne »

Not too important bugs, but:
-when starting a new game, player might spawn stuck in the middle of an ocean
-i saw dirt (or what) terrain full of spawned fishes, they spawn outside of water sometimes
-you probably already noticed, but terrain borders are very often square or straight lines in the new terrain generator

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.5.0] Terrain generator bugs

Post by cube »

Thanks for the report. There have been some small improvements in the terrain generator in 0.5.1 -- these should among other things lower the probability of being spawned on an island -- and larger changes are planned for 0.6.0, hopefully resolving the other problems you mentioned.

...and about the fishes on dry land -- are you sure there hasn't been any fish rains in your area lately? :-)
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

Well I didnt mean on an island, i meant actually spawning IN water.

About strange fishes and borders, i find them in nearly every map after exploring a bit out from start.
They just swim in rocks, but only in one location where i guess water should have been. (both maps randomly generated with lots of water set)

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Spawning in water is weird, I'll check it.
Inconsistent edges are caused by changes in the map generator between versions. Sorry about these, but there is no practical way to avoid them when changing the map generator.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

cube wrote:Inconsistent edges are caused by changes in the map generator between versions. Sorry about these, but there is no practical way to avoid them when changing the map generator.
That will acount for generating new chuks on old maps but theese are ocuring even on brand new maps sometimes.
And to me it smels to some data coruption during map generation. That would explain why fish are being placed on land becouse part of the algorithm whose job is placing fish probably treated that pice of land as being water.
Another reason for my such suspision is that when you look at those fish which are spawned on the groud it seem as some places were left empty (like the groud would actually be there).

Now I would recomend you guys to try debuging this by trying to reproduce the map generation proces by yourselves.
I asune you are saving seed number into savegame for map generator algorithm to be able to continue creating new chunks after the game has been loaded from savegame.
In thread below I uploaded two of my savegames where I ocurd to such problems. Both of them were new maps.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=18&t=933
So try to use information from my savegame files and try recreating new map from scratch. If same artifacts ocur then there is some error in your map generation code and could be probably quite easily tracked by steping through the code line by line.
But if same artifact doesn't ocur then there has to be some data damage ocuring either by using Multithreading or some other means. This would be a bit harder to track down.

Dr.Eddy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dr.Eddy »

I have just downloaded 0.5.1 and I also encountered straight edges. Also, even with Coal, Iron and Copper ores set to maximum (size, density and frequency), I have only modestly seen them with those attributes. I have more often seen them small, very small and have had trouble locating Coal most of the time. The map generator is seriously broken.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I tried out the other direction (rare and very rare frequency, medium to small size, good to very good richness) and this will result in nice looking maps with very good distributed resources, but the distances to them are maybe a little bit far.

I hope this helps to play the game. :) Maybe it needs a little time to create a very good map, but it is possible. :)

And you're right the fishes are on the land, but I found this practical, because that was the first time I found out, that fish recreates my health much faster when attacked and it is much easier to fish on land instead on water ;) (I truly think this is a funny idea which should be put into the game. Perhaps when you pump the water from a lake the water goes down? :O )

And to be honest: Yes I think also that the map generator is currently "not perfect", but it wasn't ever since beginning and I'm not a developer or involved with them but I'm sure this will be fixed in one of the next releases; till then I think the above should help to play the game - this is alpha and this means, that it isn't perfect.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

1+ for ssilk.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Ok, straight edges will be fixed in 0.5.2. Now the fish ...

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

... I've generated quite a lot of maps, checked the maps linked by SilverWarrior and never seen a single fish on ground. Can anyone please send me a save with this happening?

Dr.Eddy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dr.Eddy »

Hello,

I've been playing a map generated in 0.5.1 and being played only so much before upgrading to 0.5.2. I've found some fish on the ground. I can be quite sure those map chunks with fish on ground were generated in 0.5.2 (if I understand your map generation correctly).

Here are some uploads:
http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1373022340

http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1373022351

This is the same map, just standing in different corners of the map.

I'd also like to mention that this map runs quite fine on my PC, at around 30FPS. I consider it a bit more demanding on transport belts, material and constructions in general than my other map you're already using for testing. But it's smaller in discovered area.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Thanks I put this into our bug tracker.
Dr.Eddy wrote:I'd also like to mention that this map runs quite fine on my PC, at around 30FPS. I consider it a bit more demanding on transport belts, material and constructions in general than my other map you're already using for testing. But it's smaller in discovered area.
A lot of our energy for 0.6.0 went into performance improvements so it should get even better. Let's see.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Well, I took a look at this, but couldn't really reproduce it even with the save. I believe it might be a result of the bug with straight lines (because it affected saving of ma generator settings) -- map generated in 0.5.1, partially explored, then loaded in 0.5.2 ...
The fish placement is completely redone in 0.6.0, so it should not appear anymore. I'm keeping this as resolved, if anyone finds it in new saves (> 0.5.2), please bump this thread.

Grandirus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grandirus »

Version 0.11.22 of the game stills with this "bug". Start a new game and I can't move nowhere because there's no land to walk. (start in middle of water)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”