[Oxyd] [1.0.0] Biters not spawning

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Oxyd] [1.0.0] Biters not spawning

Post by Dune »

Hey, the biters aren't spawning (sort of). I think there's a max cap of the number of biters for a region (square area of chunks?).

I'm playing the Redmew maze scenario, with deathworld and krastorio 2, plus a lot of other mods. My guess this is a scenario issue, but it might be factorio base game related. So reporting it here first.

Starting at around the 35 minute mark in this stream I began to notice the biters weren't spawning, or not by much. There was just a trickle, and then it stopped completely. The link is for 41m 45s into it, since it demonstrates it so well.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/722136884?t=00h41m45s

At 44:45 I talk about why this might be, there's a ton of biters that can't path to my (or my base) location. This might be what is causing the cap (if there is a cap) to be reached.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/722136884?t=00h44m45s
Attachments
KM 003 biters not spawning.zip
(21.3 MiB) Downloaded 128 times

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Biters not spawning

Post by Dune »

Here's the same link to the video now on YouTube, just in case this hasn't been fixed before Twitch deletes my vod.

https://youtu.be/87WuMlcL1Go?t=2505

Ragnaman
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [Oxyd] [1.0.0] Biters not spawning

Post by Ragnaman »

If I recall correctly, biters are removed from the game if they cant find pathing to their target.
I am not sure if this is connected with the issue, never played the mod combination that you are.
However, one could try to replicate this with a custom made vanilla map with a lot of water, maybe biters are removed so fast it seems they are not spawning ?
|
| Mods: Greenhouse with modules
| Hobby artist (CAD) | Hobby coder | Lead Software Engineer | Employed
|

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

Ragnaman wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:57 pm
If I recall correctly, biters are removed from the game if they cant find pathing to their target.
I am not sure if this is connected with the issue, never played the mod combination that you are.
However, one could try to replicate this with a custom made vanilla map with a lot of water, maybe biters are removed so fast it seems they are not spawning ?
Only I had the opposite of this occurring. If watched, you'd see that there are biters in areas that can't path to me and no biters in this area where they could path to me.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Dune wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:36 am
Ragnaman wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:57 pm
Only I had the opposite of this occurring. If watched, you'd see that there are biters in areas that can't path to me and no biters in this area where they could path to me.
They are removed when their command fails repeatedly, which may or may not be because they can't find a path. Nevertheless, that seems to be the problem here – those biters in the inaccessible area are assigned to the spawners, but they can't get to the spawners and they're kept around forever. The spawners then don't spawn because they already have enough biters assigned to them, so they think there's no need to spawn any more.

Anyway, should be fixed in 1.1.0.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

Oxyd wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:42 pm
Anyway, should be fixed in 1.1.0.
Should this solve the problem with tens (hundreds) of thousands of biters stuck forever on my card, which stand in one place, and because of them only serves the UPS ??
If I remove them with a script, which is not very sporty, then my overall UPS increases from 37 to 45. Agree, this is a very significant slowdown: (((

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”