[0.11.16] [Multiplayer] picking up line of items skips

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
thuejk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.11.16] [Multiplayer] picking up line of items skips

Post by thuejk »

There is a feature where to pick up e.g. a transport belt, you hold down the right mouse button and move, and the game will make sure you pause just enough to pick up everything.

This doesn't seem to work in multiplayer, where it only picks up every second transport belt.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.16] [Multiplayer] picking up line of items skips

Post by Gandalf »

It doesn't work because of lag. It also happens in single player when the game is slowed down by heavy load. I playedon my rather old laptop, where it would also skip tiles occasionally.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Find someone you can play with 33ms latency, then it rarely skips(like 1 in 10 I think) :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

33ms latency? what is this, magic? those are LAN kind of speeds...

it is impossible for me to connect to anyone with a latency below 250.(Due to the things my ISP does to share bandwidth) and the person I actually want to game with, the minimum latency is around 400, on average it's 500+

The game on multiplayer is... quite unplayable with a latency setting in the 600 area (which is what I have to use to get a reliable connection), mostly due to the fact that it adds the latency for your own computer too.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

bobingabout wrote:33ms latency? what is this, magic? those are LAN kind of speeds...
Not really. I played with someone in Denmark(I'm in UK) and got about 25ms ping with him. We set the latency to 33ms and it was almost like playing single player.

thuejk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by thuejk »

bobingabout wrote:33ms latency? what is this, magic? those are LAN kind of speeds...

it is impossible for me to connect to anyone with a latency below 250.(Due to the things my ISP does to share bandwidth) and the person I actually want to game with, the minimum latency is around 400, on average it's 500+
That would be because your ISP is incompetent, has misconfigured their equipment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufferbloat

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

We are aware of this. Hopefully the problem would be solved in 0.12 by introducing the latency hiding. Though today I was thinking about how to do it technically and it is giving me headaches :/

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

It seems to be fixed in 0.12 :)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”