[0.11.11] Default logistic value shouldn't be one stack

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.11.11] Default logistic value shouldn't be one stack

Post by Koub »

I must say this design choice is to me one of the most illogical and counterintuitive possible. It's like you want to add some salt on your food, and the default quantity is one kilo, and then you have to take off the 999.95 grams in excess. Then same thing with everything.
There are to kinds of needs :
- Continuous needs
- Ponctual needs

Continuous needs typically benefit from the ask for one stack
Ponctual needs typically are a pain when one stack is ordered, because you end up with too many items you have to send back to the logistic network.

The problem is : for a "continuous need stack", all you have to do is set and forget. It's not a problem if the initial quantity is one, and you have to set it manually to one stack, because once it is set, you never touch it again.
On the opposite, ponctual needs are always ponctual, you order for what you want, and if default behaviour is "order for a certain quantity", you have no choice but get that quantity as soon as you select the item, and then cope with sending stuff back. Every single time.

The benefit/drawback balance of this "order xxx many upon item selection" is clearly not beneficial.

All this comes from the fact that the order for delivery is sent to your robots as soon as you choose a item type. Nothing in real life works this way. Before you start to be delivered, you always have time to tell how much you want before. Imagine you're on an online store, you want to buy yourself a SSD, as soon as you choose the ssd type, the bell rings, and you have a truck with 1000 ssd in a box. And then you take one, and send back the 999 others because you never wanted them. :mrgreen:

If there is no way to delay the delivery until you have time to sepcify how much you want of something, then the default quantity should be 0, in order to let you decide how much you want before delivering you.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Martc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Martc »

kovarex wrote:The problem with that is, that it adds a condition that you have to close the window to apply it, or to add additional button to gui that has more than enough slots and buttons already.
I don't think something like this is a problem.
Requester.png
Requester.png (25.23 KiB) Viewed 1586 times

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

There would then be just as many complaints that the buttons are too small.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I must here intervene as moderator. This is really not a bug, it's discussion/suggestion. Three pages are enough. :)

I want to point to https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=9069 where this is currently discussed!
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”