[0.11.6] Performance problems

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.11.6] Performance problems

Post by kovarex »

GewaltSam wrote:
sillyfly wrote:That is impressive! I really like the terrain with all the lakes.
But I have to admit I didn't look around too much - it's a bit frustrating when getting only 10 fps :)
Now add 200ms ping, and imagine building anything like that :P When the performance tweaks are in, we'll continue and see how far we get until it's too laggy again. Our stretch goal is something like 10-60 RD/h (Rocket Defenses / h ;) )
The next goal will be to optimise the transport belts (and splitters, underground belts), they are eating most of the cpu time, and I have a plan to reduce it many times. But I will most probably wait for 0.12 with this.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Eagerly awaiting your post in a few hours time. :D

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

FishSandwich wrote:Eagerly awaiting your post in a few hours time. :D
lol :)

zyrus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zyrus »

kovarex wrote:
GewaltSam wrote:
sillyfly wrote:That is impressive! I really like the terrain with all the lakes.
But I have to admit I didn't look around too much - it's a bit frustrating when getting only 10 fps :)
Now add 200ms ping, and imagine building anything like that :P When the performance tweaks are in, we'll continue and see how far we get until it's too laggy again. Our stretch goal is something like 10-60 RD/h (Rocket Defenses / h ;) )
The next goal will be to optimise the transport belts (and splitters, underground belts), they are eating most of the cpu time, and I have a plan to reduce it many times. But I will most probably wait for 0.12 with this.
Hi,

First i tried cyanit's save and played for a while in 60/60 FPS/UPS and thought the problem was only old hardware.

My hardware is certainly not state of the art but I thought it was enough for Factorio(I even bought a new graphics card just to be able to play Factorio @ 60 FPS)

Then I just tried GewaltSam's save and one thing is very clear to me. You need to make use of more then 1 core for the calculations... (very easy for me to say :p)
Loaded the game at 3.8 Ghz clockspeed resulted in some 12/36 FPS/UPS
Loaded the game at 4.3 GHz clockspeed and got some 13.5/41 FPS/UPS

My 6/12 core/thread i7-3930K are flatlining all but 1 core...
16 GB RAM, Geforce 970 GTX 4 GB

My 5 cents.
Keep up the good work.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

zyrus wrote: Hi,

First i tried cyanit's save and played for a while in 60/60 FPS/UPS and thought the problem was only old hardware.

My hardware is certainly not state of the art but I thought it was enough for Factorio(I even bought a new graphics card just to be able to play Factorio @ 60 FPS)

Then I just tried GewaltSam's save and one thing is very clear to me. You need to make use of more then 1 core for the calculations... (very easy for me to say :p)

My 5 cents.
Keep up the good work.
Yes, multithreading of the update logic will help A LOT, but it will have to be done super carefuly to not break the determinism. We prefer to optimise the speed in one thread first before doing this step.

zyrus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zyrus »

kovarex wrote:

My 5 cents.
Keep up the good work.
Yes, multithreading of the update logic will help A LOT, but it will have to be done super carefuly to not break the determinism. We prefer to optimise the speed in one thread first before doing this step.
I'm confident it is a tricky transition.
One good thing is that your current logic seem to scale 1:1 to clockspeed and thats nice...

kyranzor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kyranzor »

I feel bad for those with shitty 1.8GHz quad core laptops. I tell people that those extra 3 cores at 1.8GHz are almost completely useless as most programs only use 1, maybe 2 cores if you are lucky. It's better to get a 3GHz dual core than 1.8 Quad lols.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

kovarex wrote:

My 5 cents.
Keep up the good work.

I think this is pretty important, and would explain why I get bad fps while my system is still to some part idling (haven't looked at the capacity of my cores yet). I know that some people get more out of a game than others, and what we built in that save is more than some players will ever build in factorio before they lose interest. But I was always under the impression that something as big as our factory should be mandatory for very late game ;)

I think a good method to approximately determine the size of a factory is taking a look at how many iron and copper bars it can push out every minute (the P key is your friend). There could be other bottle necks, but after all, your factory can't really output more over a long time then what you can input. And the most important input is iron and copper. So I simply look at how many a factory can handle under full capacity.
Most players I talked to finished the rocket defense on their second or third playthrough. I have done that two times (many more factories never went there), and my production was always around 2k copper and 2k iron bars per minute (that's what I would call necessary to finish the game without too much of a hassle). Our current factory has around 5 times that, and to be honest, it doesn't feel like "too much" - more like exactly where you should go with advanced factory building, and even farther, if you ask me.
To shoot for something like that could be an optional target, but I really think that 6k-8k iron and copper per minute aren't too much - some systems like trains just start to really work with high throughput. And for that, there is need for some performance optimizations :)
But I guess I am just happy that there is still much potential for better performance. I was a bit worried that we already hit the ceiling size-wise.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

GewaltSam wrote:I was a bit worried that we already hit the ceiling size-wise.
Very very far from that :)

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

kovarex wrote:
It makes me happy reading this every time.
A factory is clearly not big enough before it makes 100K iron / minute.
And there is really no such thing as too big a factory :D

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

kovarex wrote:
That, good Sir, are some fabulous news :) Happy New Year to you, and may 2015 be a great year for Factorio and the restless geniuses behind it :mrgreen:

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

After seeing this thread i began to notice how slow my game had become so i was excited for the performance increases that kovarex implemented.

Sadly it seems like the performance went down for me from (FPS/UPS) 12/34 to 8/26 making it very hard to play the game :(.

Specs:
CPU: i7 4820 3.7GHz
Ram: 8GB DDR3
GPU: ATI Readon 48xx

Factorio Version: 0.11.10
Waste of bytes : P

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Consider, that the chart is forced to be refreshed (to fix some of the issues), so it might take few minutes for big maps until it is done, and it can slow down the game. You can see the statistics when you press F5, how much is spent on the charting.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Chart Refresh: 67
Chart Update: 11

Waiting 20min seems to get the FPS/UPS up to around 12/34 again.
Waste of bytes : P

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”