Multiplayer map download speed too slow

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Cloner
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Multiplayer map download speed too slow

Post by Cloner »

It is strange that even over 1Gbit LAN it takes 60 seconds to download a 20mb map between players, it would be great if you could fix it with next release - this way the desyncs wouldn’t be so painful.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Multiplayer map download speed too slow

Post by kovarex »

Cloner wrote:It is strange that even over 1Gbit LAN it takes 60 seconds to download a 20mb map between players, it would be great if you could fix it with next release - this way the desyncs wouldn’t be so painful.
This is strange, we download this size of the map in seconds. I don't know why doesn't it work.

Anyway, the main goal is to avoid desyncs completely, so it is best to provide save games prior desyncs.

Cloner
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cloner »

Its still much slower than both the upload speed of host and download speed of client. Can you chek to make sure there is not some artificial speed limit imposed? I can download map file from same host via ftp in 2 seconds, still the map loads much longer.

Elysium7
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Elysium7 »

I have experienced similar issues. A map size of about 18mb takes about 3 minutes to send to the client even though my upload speed is 3mbit/s. So whatever the issue is it is not related to LAN.

Cloner
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cloner »

It might be that the protocol they use is good for keeping things in sync, but is bad for file transfer (where before sending next chunk they wait for confirmation about receiving the previous chunk)

Mevius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mevius »

Not experiencing the problem over here. It goes full speed (~10Mb/s) over our internet connection, resulting in a download time around 10 seconds.
Een goeie tukker is geen motherfucker!

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Pfft, 10MB is slow? I get about 10kBps, it's "Peer connecting", go make a coffee time.

That's not the problem I have though, when the map finally finished downloading, there was so much nonsense chatter going on that you'd get about 3 frames of action, then a half second pause through the entire attempt to play the game.

Keep in mind, England to Australia, probably the worst possible internet link you can imagine, yet we can hold a voice call without problem, and plaay most internet games, but Factiorio 0.11.5 is unplayable. 0.11.1 worked much better.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Pfft, 10MB is slow? I get about 10kBps, it's "Peer connecting", go make a coffee time.

That's not the problem I have though, when the map finally finished downloading, there was so much nonsense chatter going on that you'd get about 3 frames of action, then a half second pause through the entire attempt to play the game.

Keep in mind, England to Australia, probably the worst possible internet link you can imagine, yet we can hold a voice call without problem, and plaay most internet games, but Factiorio 0.11.5 is unplayable. 0.11.1 worked much better.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Yep, but it seems that multiple peers won't upload to a new connecting one. Scenario:

Player 1 is hosting
Player 2 joins. It downloads from Player 1
Player 2 finishes downloading, it's now playing

Player 3 joins, it downloads from Player 1, but not from Player 2

This always happens on our 3 man map. It's SO frustrating. Also, it doesn't show any kind of real progress, like how much MB was sent, how much is left, only a progress bar on the "host". One can't even measure how much time it will take to upload the map.

Cloner
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cloner »

Still not solved in 11.13, i have 100/100 internet and upload a 30mb map over 3 minutes to a 100/10 mbit peer.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Cloner wrote:Still not solved in 11.13
I know :-)

In fact I'm working on it now.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

So I finaly managed to replicate the problem -- Our file transfer doesn't handle packet loss very well... With packet loss of 5% and transfer rate limited to 200KB/s we download at 15KB/s ... Fixing it should be really easy now, right? :D

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Hopefully fixed for 0.11.16 :-)

Rooski
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Rooski »

i seem to be having this issue in 11.22 , map download steady around 30kB/s was fine 2 days ago.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Still not solved in 12.29.

Steed begin with 2 Mbit/s and going down, by 50% is ca. 100 kbit/s, and by end of download ca. 10-40 kbit/s.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

EDIT: I only just noticed this was in resolved since Feb 2015 already, nonetheless there have been improvements in 0.12.31 so my answer still stands.
darkfrei wrote:Still not solved in 12.29.

Steed begin with 2 Mbit/s and going down, by 50% is ca. 100 kbit/s, and by end of download ca. 10-40 kbit/s.
Recently resolved bugs are usually only resolved for the experimental release, which might become stable later.
I believe this issue was solved in 0.12.31.

Steps to update to experimental:
If you're using the steam client, go to the steam library > right click factorio > properties > betas > drop down menu > experimental. If the drop down menu doesn't work please restart steam and try again and it should work.
If you're using the standalone client go to the main menu > options > other > enable experimental updates. then go to main menu > about > check updates.

Note that the server (or host) and all other clients have to be on the same version, too.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Quazil
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quazil »

The steam flavor only list NONE under the drop-down for Beta.
It seems like we need a beta access code?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Quazil wrote:The steam flavor only list NONE under the drop-down for Beta.
It seems like we need a beta access code?
Are you sure you opened the properties of factorio? There are 12 different betas right now, try restarting steam.

BroadCast
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BroadCast »

I'm having a similar problem where the map is even smaller than 20mb but the loading is completely inconsistent. Sometimes it loads without problems in a reasonable amount of time while other times is loads less than one kb a second, this makes the loading time over 24 hours which is an Earth day. I try internet applications like Google Chrome when this happens and it usually works perfectly fine so I don't think it's my internet connection. This is a massive annoyance because I don't have days to stare at a monitor in silent anger and load a map just to play it. :(

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”