[0.16] Game crashes when opening in stable versions

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Arzorth
Inserter
Inserter

[0.16] Game crashes when opening in stable versions

Post by Arzorth »

Game crashed when trying to execute it in versions previous to 0.17.

I tried 0.16, 0.15... all

Error talks about the show-fluid-box-fluid-box, I thought the error appeared because I had this option active in 0.17 version, but I upgraded to 0.17 and checked the default options, all deactivated and still crashing.

Edit: I think the problem is I activated that option in 0.17 and then I deactivated it, but that's was enough to create a record of that flag, which does not exist in 0.16 and thus makes it fail.

Edit2: I've removed that entrance in %appdata%\Factorio\config\config.ini and it works now but I think game shouldn't crash for this reason, I keep this post open waiting for dev's opinion.

Here a pic:
fluid-box_crash.png
fluid-box_crash.png (207.49 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
Last edited by Arzorth on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16] Game crashes when opening in stable versions

Post by posila »

Hello, this is due to format changes in 0.17 config format;
Hit Win+R on your keyboard, type in %APPDATA%\Factorio and click OK. File Explorer should open, go to config folder, open config.ini and delete all of its content (don't delete the file though) and save it

Arzorth
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Arzorth »

Sorry I didn't read your post before my edits.

Problem is solved but... for me it seems weird to leave it as it is. On the other hand, you are focused in making 0.17 stable so I'd understand these lacks in retro-compatibility.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

There's all sorts of existing issues with reverting to older game versions (e.g. another issue is that you can't access the blueprint library from an older version of the game), but it doesn't make much sense to attempt to "fix" these when the user can just backup their game files manually (which they should be doing with the experimental builds anyway).

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

We are not going to make any more 0.16 releases, and this problem was already resolved in 0.17 (as in 0.18 or 1.0 or whatever config won't prevent 0.17 to start)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”