[0.17.4] Usability issues with game.tick_paused

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.17.4] Usability issues with game.tick_paused

Post by Hexicube »

The new tick_paused option is great, but for the purposes of creating TAS runs, it has a few issues when active (with ticks_to_run set to 0):

- The god controller cannot move normally (can still move via zoom in/out)
- Entities cannot be opened, but can be closed; this includes the player's own inventory
- Items cannot be moved whilst paused, but other interactions are possible (such as changing the recipe on an assembler)
- When setting a recipe, the player's inventory does not appear, even after unpausing
- Mining works by holding the right mouse button across a tick, but everything above does not (some due to console focus)
- The pipette can be used to start placing an entity, but not to cancel placing (particularly annoying since you cannot clear your cursor if paused)
- Ghosts can be placed, but not removed
- Deconstruction planners (and probably other similar tools) cannot start a drag, but can end one

I will update this with more issues as they are found.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.4] Usability issues with game.tick_paused

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. The fix so most of these is to prevent them from working at all in the paused state - since while paused non-map-editor players are not meant to be able to do anything except talk, switch to/from the editor, or disconnect.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Hexicube wrote:The god controller cannot move normally (can still move via zoom in/out)
it now won't move when zooming while in the paused state.
Hexicube wrote:The pipette can be used to start placing an entity, but not to cancel placing (particularly annoying since you cannot clear your cursor if paused)
It now won't do anything when the pipette key is pressed in the paused state.
Hexicube wrote:Entities cannot be opened, but can be closed; this includes the player's own inventory
This is intended so people that aren't editors can close a GUI and see the game/chat.
Hexicube wrote:* Items cannot be moved whilst paused, but other interactions are possible (such as changing the recipe on an assembler)
* When setting a recipe, the player's inventory does not appear, even after unpausing
See my reply to the other post.
Hexicube wrote:Mining works by holding the right mouse button across a tick, but everything above does not (some due to console focus)
I don't get what you mean by this. Yes mining works by holding the right mouse button across ticks - that's how mining works.
Hexicube wrote:Ghosts can be placed, but not removed
It now won't allow placing ghosts while in the paused state.
Hexicube wrote:Deconstruction planners (and probably other similar tools) cannot start a drag, but can end one
I could go either way with this one - it depends on when the action is deemed as "done". Right now I have it setup so that starting to drag counts as the action and letting go of the mouse finishes it but I could also set it up so letting go of the mouse is ignored while paused.

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hexicube »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:25 am
Thanks for the report. The fix so most of these is to prevent them from working at all in the paused state - since while paused non-map-editor players are not meant to be able to do anything except talk, switch to/from the editor, or disconnect.
If that's the plan, would it be possible to get a new controller that is functionally the same as the character controller, except that it can do these actions whilst paused? The main reason I wanted this worked out is for making TAS runs.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Hexicube wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:28 pm
Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:25 am
If that's the plan, would it be possible to get a new controller that is functionally the same as the character controller, except that it can do these actions whilst paused? The main reason I wanted this worked out is for making TAS runs.
That's what the map editor is.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”