[0.11.1] Gates and Cars

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
ataaron
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.11.1] Gates and Cars

Post by ataaron »

Hello there

So I like to use the gates as a garage door for my Cars but the problem is that the gates react too late if the car isn't driving at around walking speed.
So I usually end up ramming the just opened gates.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.1] Gates and Cars

Post by bobingabout »

if you're driving a tank at top speed, same issue, except the tank can demolish the gate.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Psycix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Psycix »

Even when rolling at it with medium speed while braking, it opens too late.

Gates need to open for player-driven vehicles much earlier. That extra second that the gate is open really doesn't bother me. It's not like it matters if a a few biters slip through. Being lynched at your own front door because you can't get in, however, sucks.

PalllaX
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PalllaX »

tecxx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tecxx »

i would also like to see this modified. it seems the gates take the player walking speed as a reference, and open way too late when in a vehicle.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Agree, I've lost gates and badly damaged tanks because I was being chased by biters and the gate opened late.

DrDr3ck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DrDr3ck »

I disagree. I think it is a good idea that gates do not open too quickly.

When I open my automatic garage gate at home, I do not drive very fast too.

So, you need to slow down when driving near the gate.

- my 2 cents -

PalllaX
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PalllaX »

:D ... yeah, you are right in terms of reality. Big gates for the army tanks don't open quick too.
BUT this isn't reality and when you open you're automatic garage at home you don't have biters and spitters behind you, do you? :D
So I guess in the future - what this game stands for - there could be gates that opens very quick.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

DrDr3ck wrote:I disagree. I think it is a good idea that gates do not open too quickly.
If gates open slowly, they must open earlier when the player is in a fast vehicle.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

DrDr3ck wrote:I disagree. I think it is a good idea that gates do not open too quickly.

When I open my automatic garage gate at home, I do not drive very fast too.

So, you need to slow down when driving near the gate.

- my 2 cents -
There is such a thing as 'too much realism' for a game like this ;)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

Extending that idea, it would be cool if we had a control for force open and close of the gate, like a garage door opener

DrDr3ck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DrDr3ck »

PalllaX wrote::D ... yeah, you are right in terms of reality. Big gates for the army tanks don't open quick too.
BUT this isn't reality and when you open you're automatic garage at home you don't have biters and spitters behind you, do you? :D
So I guess in the future - what this game stands for - there could be gates that opens very quick.
because at home, I have installed laser turrets near garage gate for biters :lol:

DrDr3ck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DrDr3ck »

DaveMcW wrote:
If gates open slowly, they must open earlier when the player is in a fast vehicle.
Or player should slow down because gates are opening slowly.
For me, it is not a bug or something that need to be fixed. Player should know that gates are opening slowly and should not drive too fast.

By the way, could be nice to have road to drive even faster... no?

Sting_Auer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sting_Auer »

I think it's a good mechanic to have in the game. You need to slow down to go in through a gate. This will especially be more meaningful if the game takes an RTS direction and drone-tanks are entering or exiting a fort.

Likewise, greater amounts of players entering or exiting a fort than just one.

It also makes kiting biters to your base less of a cheese tactic, since you still need to either slow down to let the gates open in time, smash through them, or stay outside and continue kiting biters while within range of the turrets, leaving you vulnerable and leaving the possibility of crashing into your wall or turrets, or getting bogged down by biters.

It seems strange to me that so many people keep suggesting convenience things and things ot make the game easier without taking into account the bad side of removing difficulties and inconveniences.

I do like the idea of a gate opening button, though. Perhaps make them able to be hooked into the wiring system somehow? I don't know hardly anything about the wiring system, I haven't messed with it yet.

logris
Inserter
Inserter

Post by logris »

I think the trick is to have a fortified entrance to your base if you are expecting unwanted visitors.
Have a corridor lined with turrets with the gate at the end of it. That way you can slow down for the gate and the turrets can keep you safe.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Sting_Auer wrote: It seems strange to me that so many people keep suggesting convenience things and things ot make the game easier without taking into account the bad side of removing difficulties and inconveniences.
It's pretty common here, though just as common are those that rally against anything that makes the game easier as well, even if they're properly balanced. :|
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

warmadmax
Inserter
Inserter

Post by warmadmax »

tending to play exclusively in multiplayer mode because single player spawns you as "player" instead of your "<multiplayer name>" and i'm working on the save while others are offline.

I really dislike having to "crawl" tanks through the gates,
in multiplayer mode at default latency, anything faster than two or three taps forward from a dead stop makes you collide with the gate,

it feels like the activation range is too small for the tank, (can't remember if it's coded so the gate is looking for you, or you're looking for gates?)

perhaps the activation range should scale up with your velocity ??
put an upper cap on this if you don't feel that vehicles should be able to go through at full speed.
I noticed when you hover on the trains, speed shows as "km/h" now, so you could cap it at 50 Km/h ?

not personally tried the cars vs gates yet.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Thanks for the report, it is now fixed for 0.11.12

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”