[0.17.4] [MacOS] Delays in control

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Maciej
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.4] [MacOS] Delays in control

Post by Maciej »

Sometimes, after releasing the moving key (w, s, a, d) the character moves a little bit longer. It happens especially at longer distances. Sometimes, after pressing the movement key, the character stands still for a second and then starts to move. It seems to be an occasional lag in steering character. Other functions works well in the same time (without delays).

MacOS Mojave 10.14.3
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

queenjazz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17] Delays in control

Post by queenjazz »

Can confirm this is also happening on my machine, to a really bad extent (the game is unplayable, unfortunately). Performance when zooming in/out is really bad, especially using the map view (the static effect seems to cause performance issues, this was also true on 0.16 but to a much more minor extent).

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Macbook Pro (Retina 15-inch, mid-2015)

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

Is that in singleplayer?

queenjazz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by queenjazz »

For me, yes.

Moving the mouse over highlightable objects (such as patches of ore, for instance) will often show the highlights a second or two after I've moved the mouse, as if it's happening on a delay. When things slow down even the menu slows to a crawl too, option highlights will show up many seconds after i've done them, sometimes to the point of waiting 20-30 seconds for an input to finally register, including trying to quit the game.

Maciej
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Maciej »

Just discovered, that disable v-sync durning game, back to game for a second and then turn v-sync on again solves the problem. You have to make it every time You run Factorio.

EDIT:
Unfortunately, the problem returned after a while. I am currently testing with v-sync off permanently and is ok for a long while. But there is a visual artifact (screen tearing?) when moving the character (or moving the map) typical for the lack of v-sync .
Last edited by Maciej on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yghgdzs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yghgdzs »

I also have the same issue. FPS are at 60 and the game runs smoothly, only the controls are delayed. Disable and enable vsync doesn't help either and it seems worse on big maps.
0.16 ran just fine before.

macOS Mojave 10.14.3
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018)
Last edited by yghgdzs on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

queenjazz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by queenjazz »

VSync as some kind of impact but doesn't solve the issue on my end either.

automationfor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by automationfor »

Also having the same issue here -

Zooming in or out greatly decreases performance and input lag for a time until it catches up.
'ctrl-right-clicking' to retrieve resources from objects such as smelters or miners will also cause this temporary lag.

I've turned most of the graphics settings down to as low as possible and it reduced the impact of these things, but the problem was not present in 0.16.x and earlier

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014
MacOS Ver. 10.14.3 (18D109)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

edit: just went back and checked: UPS/FPS stays a consistent 60 while reproducing the issue.

fochristo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by fochristo »

I see somthing similar :
I had 35FPS / 60UPS and hilights like menus was kind of late... It was hilighted 200/300ms after the mouse was over (very unpleasant).
I disable / enable VSync, and now it seems to be OK for both issues. Even after Factorio restart.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

You can call me a Sherlock to connect the problem with mac :)

automationfor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17][Mac] Delays in control

Post by automationfor »

Yeah its probably a good bet its Mac related.

for giggles, I adjusted my system's resolution down as low as possible - the result of this change is that the issue is not presenting nearly as strongly, though it is still there.

My hypothesis is that, like many games, the 'retina display' affects performance negatively - and if we could manually set the resolution of the game independent of the OS it could improve this issue.

19wolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 19wolf »

Same issue here - let me know if I can provide any logs

cowgod77
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cowgod77 »

This is affecting me as well, on a 2018 Macbook Pro 15". The issue wasn't noticeable when played on an external monitor (a 30" apple cinema display running at its native resolution of 2560 x 1600), even when maximized, but when played on the native retina display (at its native 2880 x 1800 resolution) the issue was very apparent, and the game is almost unplayable.

I'm happy to do any further testing or provide any logs that are helpful.

chunibuni
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by chunibuni »

I concur with the above. I am using a macbook pro, latest version of OSX, and I have all the issues described above.
The best and easiest solution is to let us choose a resolution, the native resolution is too high and is buggy because of the retina display.

chunibuni
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by chunibuni »

This needs to be fixed ASAP above all... All the mac users now have an unplayable game on their hands (assuming they want to play .17)

garbanarba
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by garbanarba »

+1
The GUI is extremely small on a Retina display, all the text is unreadable.

The previous version worked perfectly well as it treated the screen as a much smaller setup (1680*1050 on 15.5"), this is system default behavior that's usually respected by other apps. For apps that did not adapt Retina display, the system simply scale up the app window 4 times to make up the pixels.
0.17 seems to have it's own way of deciding display resolution and it's not asking the OS about it.

This actually happens to games a lot but they usually have proportional GUI so it's not a big deal. Factorio seem to have a fixed GUI size so...

Winegum-1994
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Winegum-1994 »

Exact same issue here - have checked with multiple people also all running MacBooks.

Total delays in control - almost like lag input - FPS / ups at 60/60. But will still be running left 10 seconds after release The A key.....

Please fix - we are itching to play! Currently genuinely not playable!

itsmecurtis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by itsmecurtis »

Same delays/input lag here, and I have a pre-retina MacBook Air.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Dominik wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:07 pm
Is that in singleplayer?
yes - in single player there is a significant timelag - and I have a 2019 MacBook Pro with max configuration

chunibuni
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by chunibuni »

I would suggest you start sending some private messages to the devs on these forums and contacting them on twitter. They need to prioritize this over anything else as this bug literally removes a whole chunk of their user base (probably 20%) from being able to play the game.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”