Possible desync bug with combat

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Nighteyes
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Possible desync bug with combat

Post by Nighteyes »

Player locations involved: U.S., Japan, AU so latency could have been a problem. 4-5 players involved.

Issue: Desync occured each time a player took damage from biters. As a group we assaulted a biter base early game and as soon as someone would take damage from the aliens, the game would reconnect due to desync and it would repeat over and over until the host quit. We would have maybe .5 seconds between desync reconnects to shoot a little. We never killed all of the biters to see if it would clear up afterwards.

Game latency was set to 140 and then 400 on another players faster connection and the same issue occurred. Biters were the smallest type. Only handguns were involved.

Update: Attempted to reload the map with only 2 players and fight the biters. Same issue occurred. Japan-based host, AU client.

ZJAYISBACK
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Possible desync bug with combat

Post by ZJAYISBACK »

So me and my brother were playing and had the same problem and were about to give up till i asked if he downloaded the 32bit version by accident and he did so he uninstalled and downloaded 64bit and it worked (both of us use 64bit windows)

short and simple 64bit factorio dosent work with 32bit factorio on multipplayer very well

Dracohouston
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dracohouston »

ZJAYISBACK wrote:So me and my brother were playing and had the same problem and were about to give up till i asked if he downloaded the 32bit version by accident and he did so he uninstalled and downloaded 64bit and it worked (both of us use 64bit windows)

short and simple 64bit factorio dosent work with 32bit factorio on multipplayer very well
That makes sense. I just had this issue with someone who is currently stuck with a 32 bit laptop. i will check if the 32 bit version works with itself fine then. Thanks

NitrousWolf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by NitrousWolf »

I encountered this playing 2 player Multiplayer (same room), where one was win32 and other was win64. For us it would occur when a player shot a biter or the other player. We both had the same player name (set when you log in for the first time and changed from Options > Other)

For us, the problem was resolved after changing a player name so that they were both unique.

It would be interesting if this was the real cause or just coincidence.

Dracohouston
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dracohouston »

NitrousWolf wrote:I encountered this playing 2 player Multiplayer (same room), where one was win32 and other was win64. For us it would occur when a player shot a biter or the other player. We both had the same player name (set when you log in for the first time and changed from Options > Other)

For us, the problem was resolved after changing a player name so that they were both unique.

It would be interesting if this was the real cause or just coincidence.
that sounds like a different bug, in the same situation. the 32 bit/64 bit thing was the problem in my case. i ended up installing the 32 bit client to another folder, saves are shared so i can just run the 32 bit one for the one guy stuck with that version, then jump back on the 64 bit one for sp and mp for other ppl no problem. the other players name was different in mine so i can't test to see if you're right. if no one else has reproduced it by the time i got a coop buddy on i'll see if it does it

i love these 2 bugs because its something the devs would have never tested, because why wouldnt they have all properly set up 64 bit installs? lol

tut768
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tut768 »

I am having the same problem but it desyncs as soon as a gun if fired

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Was one of the 32bit machines linux, by any chance? Recenly I discovered that 32bit linux build doesn't pass our floating point sanity checks :-)

Splitframe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Splitframe »

Maybe it's because of the damaged armor item, a friend and I had a problem with damaged walls leading to desyncs this evening. See here

PalllaX
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PalllaX »

Don't know if it was mentioned somewhere else but I think I know why desyncs happen in certain scenarios.

Short: loading from autosave cause desync.

When you died in combat and try to load the autosave then you're teammate get desync, right?
This happened for me / us.

Our solution:
When you load a own savegame which you created manually it's working without desync. :roll:

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

This is most probably related to the pathfinding desync problem, so I'm moving it to resolved for next release.

The problem is, that when pathfinding is different, biters can move differently, so they damage the player or buildings at different times, and the desync is created.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”