Frequent crashes on Linux

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
huntse
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Frequent crashes on Linux

Post by huntse »

Hey there

This is the proper bug report from my post on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... _on_linux/

I'm getting a lot of crashes on my linux desktop. I'm not 100% sure whether there's a single trigger as there doesn't seem to be any obvious pattern like ("I do x and it crashes"). It just seems to crash every now and then (approx a crash every 30mins gameplay). Given that I've played >600 hours you might wonder why it took so long to report. There was a specific release during the 0.16 series when it started happening, but I can't remember when taht was (sorry so unhelpful). I've been on 0.16 since probably 0.16.20 or maybe even a bit before.

Here's a log and a dumpfile and the last save before the crash - let me know if anything else would help. I am a software engineer myself so I can run debugging stuff on here if you want. The crash is always a hard crash and as I say there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

Sean
Attachments
mod-list.json
(76 Bytes) Downloaded 68 times
_autosave2.zip
(5.02 MiB) Downloaded 68 times
factorio-dump-current.dmp
(401.31 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
factorio-current.log
(39.85 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Frequent crashes on Linux

Post by impetus maximus »

factorio current

huntse
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by huntse »

Actually I have a possible candidate - my dotfiles had a ulimit on total cpu time set. I'm trying with that turned off.

huntse
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by huntse »

This is definitely the problem. I found it in the journalctl logs. feel free to close. In case anything like this happens again, it could be worth asking people to post the output of

Code: Select all

journalctl | grep -i steam
(assuming they're using steam to launch ldo). in my case it looked like:

Code: Select all

Apr 01 16:01:56 xxx.xxx.com /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[4302]: /home/sean/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 927:  4753 CPU time limit exceeded (core dumped) $STEAM_DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$STEAMEXEPATH" "$@"
...because I had hit a cpu time ulimit that I had had in my dotfiles for 15 years. This is genuinely the first legitimate process (ie something that wasn't an accidental fork bomb) to consume enough CPU secs to hit it, so you guys should feel proud :)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”