[10.0.4] Crash on leaving logistic area

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Calico
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [10.0.4] Crash on leaving logistic area

Post by Calico »

I've put everything on hold for the weekend. Don't wanna corrupt my saves, not knowing if they are recoverable. Will start another round now, since i'm hoping for hotfix/workaround later today. Need to test radar actually rescanning.

knaar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by knaar »

Yes I have been able to play all day today just by removing all my character logistic robot requests and making sure any new roboports I place down have power before they are placed. My theory is that I only crash when placing new roboports if they will be unpowered when I place them. So I put down power poles first and I haven't crashed since. My theory could be completely incorrect, however. But I haven't crashed all day (more than 8 hours of play).

As for what I said earlier, I meant a buffer overflow, as those are what can cause the return address on the stack to become corrupted and make the program try to execute code it shouldn't be able to. I said stack overflow but that's different (too deeply nested calls causing you to run out of stack space). I guess it could be a stack overflow too but I doubt that.

Generally if a buffer overflow happens 90%+ of the time it will hit a buffer overflow protection boundary and crash right away. And even if it somehow corrupts the game state it will do totally random things and it's highly unlikely it will happen to save the game after that. So the likelihood of your save game getting corrupted is very low. So I wouldn't worry about that. It is a pretty bad bug though so hopefully it's fixed soon.

Glyph
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Glyph »

To anyone expecting a hotfix:

Not much changed between versions, and 10.3 is still there for easy downloading. Above all else, this is an alpha branch we are talking about here. The alpha releases are not guaranteed to be stable, in fact it's implied that they won't be stable sometimes.

Don't demand a patch when you can play 10.3 just fine. If you didn't make backups of your saves before upgrading versions (I didn't), then tough luck? Again, alpha. You are not entitled to a hotfix on an alpha branch, that is absurd.

Calico
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Calico »

I'm not demanding anything. And i never said i do.

I said i was hoping.

Being able to test 10.4 thoroughly is in the Devs best interest to (as much or even more as ours), as they like to move to the next stable version.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Glyph I'm dev in different game and I know that bugs like that always have high priority and should be fixed ASAP, not in normal release schedule.

Saying that we still can play 0.10.3 is silly in my opinion. I have backups but their are outdated about 50h. I've made too many changes in factory before I noticed that bug and now that bug slowed down my design. I have to save every time before I build any roboport/robostation because remove it cause crash.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello, sorry for the game breaking bug.

It is fixed for 0.10.5, we will try to release it sooner than on friday.

Calico
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Calico »

kovarex wrote:Hello, sorry for the game breaking bug.

It is fixed for 0.10.5, we will try to release it sooner than on friday.
Roger that. Will try to workaround and keep testing. Great radar fix, btw.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Glyph wrote:To anyone expecting a hotfix:

Don't demand a patch when you can play 10.3 just fine. If you didn't make backups of your saves before upgrading versions (I didn't), then tough luck? Again, alpha. You are not entitled to a hotfix on an alpha branch, that is absurd.
They've put out hotfixes for game breaking bugs like this before, so it is not unreasonable to expect one here.
kovarex wrote:It is fixed for 0.10.5, we will try to release it sooner than on friday.
Awesome, looking forward to it!

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

No need to be sorry. It's happens and will be happening. It's alpha stage privilege :P

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Neotix wrote:
No need to be sorry. It's happens and will be happening. It's alpha stage privilege :P
Alpha stage + experimental branch :)

lost57
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lost57 »

Maybe this should be in "requests" but my wife asks that you don't release a fix :roll:

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

lost57 wrote:Maybe this should be in "requests" but my wife asks that you don't release a fix :roll:
At first I was like :? :? :?

But then I was like :lol: :lol:

Greg40
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Greg40 »

Hello, sorry for the game breaking bug.
Sorry for what Kovarex ? Hey, this is an alpha + experimental branch dude. No need to be sorry :)
Players who want stabilities goes on stable.
Maybe this should be in "requests" but my wife asks that you don't release a fix :roll:
:lol: :lol:

Glyph
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Glyph »

Calico wrote:I'm not demanding anything. And i never said i do.

I said i was hoping.

Being able to test 10.4 thoroughly is in the Devs best interest to (as much or even more as ours), as they like to move to the next stable version.
Hoping is good ;) If the devs release before Friday then that is an extra merit on them, not something that is expected by a reasonable person. There are other people using words like "expect" and implying that the devs must release a patch early or else they are slacking off; that is crazy talk because this is an unstable branch of an alpha game - nothing is guaranteed.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

A release a week is a pretty good schedule for a game in alpha stage. I really wanted to test the radars hotfix ='\

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Glyph wrote:<snip>
The devs here are much more reliable than what you are giving them merit for. Even in their experimental versions, they very rarely release builds that have game breaking bugs inside, and when they do a hotfix quickly follows it. So based on past experience with them, is it unreasonable to expect a game breaking bug like this to get fixed before the next build is released? No, as it is guaranteed to happen, as evidenced by a dev's post in this very thread.

About the only thing I agree with you on, is that nobody should demand the fix or imply the devs are lazy. But to be honest you seem to have made that up, because I see nothing like that happening in this thread.

Klakh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Klakh »

I love you guys.

Your game is making me crazy though.

But I love you anyways.

micomico
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by micomico »

The new update is looking good.

I've been making fun of my bots leaving and entering the logistics network as they try to deliver me stuff and no crashes yet.

To celebrate, I destroyed around 10 roboports - some very busy - with no crashes either.

Thanks a lot for the update!

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”