.15.x Memory Leak

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Saikron
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

.15.x Memory Leak

Post by Saikron »

About four times now, after playing the .15.x builds for sessions over two hours, my PC eventually starts to chug. Usually by the time I notice it's happening my computer isn't responsive enough to even let me close Factorio before the whole thing locks up, but last time I was able to kill Factorio which allowed me to open Windows Resource Monitor and see that my memory was 99% in use. Nothing that was running at that time totaled up to the full 16GB, yet the PC was still chugging and showed high memory usage. Windows was using the max size page file allowed (about 8gb) and it looked like a lot of resources were being spent trying to page memory to disk, but it never went down below about 96% usage until I rebooted.

It happened again today, so what I did was reboot and fought the addiction to play Factorio and instead opened Farcry Primal and left it running for about 3 hours just to see if some other program could be causing it. Nothing happened, so I'm personally convinced it's Factorio. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to collect more info on Windows, and it seems difficult to do anyway since I don't see performance issues on my small factory for the vast majority of the time. Then there's like 10 seconds where it slows down and if I don't kill Factorio then it freezes before I can check anything.

Any tips on what I can collect?

dxdiag info: https://pastebin.com/BSvjdguy

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: .15.x Memory Leak

Post by DaveMcW »

Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up Task Manager. Write down how much memory Factorio is using on the Processes tab.

Also post your factorio-current.log file.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Additionally if it is showing high memory usage right click on it and do "create dump file" and upload that somewhere for us to take a look at.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Anyone
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anyone »

I did notice factorio using like 3.5/5gb of memory at a given moment, but it reduced to 2gb a bit later. This was still the case after a fresh start though. I don't know if this is related to a memory leak but it's something I noticed 2 days ago.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Anyone wrote:I did notice factorio using like 3.5/5gb of memory at a given moment, but it reduced to 2gb a bit later. This was still the case after a fresh start though. I don't know if this is related to a memory leak but it's something I noticed 2 days ago.
3/5 GB is normal depending on the graphics quality settings you're using and the save file size.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Saikron
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Saikron »

factorio-previous.log - which I believe is the log from when I had to kill it to figure out what was wrong: https://pastebin.com/y9zMYThL

I'm going to leave factorio running and see if I can catch it right before my computer locks up and capture a memory dump. If we're lucky it grows gradually from startup time.

Saikron
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Saikron »

I have so far been unable to reproduce, I did use the console to set biters to peaceful but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Another difference that I thought of between my test and when it has actually happened is that I normally play streaming through steam, so I guess that's the new most likely culprit.

Saikron
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Saikron »

Thanks for the help.

I figured out today that a combination of steam streaming and my old ethernet adapter driver was causing this. I don't know whyit hasn't happened with other games, but updating my ethernet driver seems to have resolved it. I did take a memory dump of factorio the last time it occurred, but the dump was only 4.xgb. Does that mean that's how much memory it was using?

Still, the windows task manager was totaling that at like 75% usage going to Factorio, but I'm not sure how to separate that total from what steam streaming uses or why it says that was 75% usage but only 4gb and change.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”