[0.8.8] Auto-Update fails

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
mjcc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.8.8] Auto-Update fails

Post by mjcc »

Hi,

The auto-update of Factorio doesn't work. I'm upgrading from version 0.8.8 to 0.9.8. It downloads correctly the .zip files, but when factorio should restart, nothing happens after accepting the "This program needs administrator privileges to run" windows message.

I think the problem is due to my windows session name, wich is "Maël", because if I try to launch the Factorio.exe from "C:\Users\Maël\AppData\Roaming\Factorio", I receive a window error message saying "C:/Users\Ma".

Anyway, I will use the manual installation for the moment.

noddie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.8.8] Auto-Update fails

Post by noddie »

For Reference: My setup is Windows 8.1 64 bits with norwegian locale and my appdata path is C:\Users\Øyvind\AppData\Roaming\Factorio

I only downloaded this game for the first time today, but when auto-update wanted to download the Scenario pack it failed and caused Factorio to terminate unexpectedly. Although the auto-update as described by OP does not cause the game to carsh, I believe that the problem with special (non ASCII) characters in the user/session name is the culprit.

The exact steps I did to cause the error:

1 Downloaded the Demo version 0.9.8 and played through it
2 Downloaded and installed version 0.9.8
3 Started game and logged in with my user
4 Got prompted to update the Mod "Scenario-pack" From 0.0.0 to 0.9.8 - clicked on update now
5 The updater starts to download and requests user elevation (UAC dialog) uppon completion
6. Factorio now crashes with the following dialog message: Error opening package: Opening zip "C:/Users/[]yvind/AppData/Roaming/Factorio/temp/scenario-pack-0.0.0-0.9.8-update.zip failed

the [] is not actually open bracket close bracket, but the "unable to view this character" glyph. My user name is Øyvind.

IDENTIFIYNG AND SOLVING THIS PROBLEM

The reason for this error is simple, the code that downloads and opens the zip file downloaded does not handle non ASCII characters in file paths. The fault may lie in the zip library used or in the updater source itself, but since the application saves file to my user appdata folder already with no problem (demo had no problems at all and all the files are in the correct location) I believe it is something to do specifically with the unzipping.

(as a side note) In my experience there is a running theme with cross-platform libraries that started off in Linux and their tendency to only support ASCII characters in windows file paths, trying to run cygwin or cygwin-based application in windows is a fun experience since they try to run things in relation to the user folder, which it cannot access since it doesn't understand special characters.

I hope this helps you solve this very minor but very annoying hickup for a release in the near future, cause if it goes unsolved I will have to create a new user account just for this game XD

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Thanksf for an elaborate description. I put this in our internal todo list.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Good news everyone! This issue is solved for 0.10.0. Unfortunately the fix will start working only in the 0.10.0 binary, so updating from 0.9.8 will still not work.

If anyone is interested in the details, this stack overflow question describes the cause of the problem: http://stackoverflow.com/q/10260688
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”