[WIN7] Game starts minimised and the only way to maximise...

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
UKStephen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[WIN7] Game starts minimised and the only way to maximise...

Post by UKStephen »

Hi,

Love the game by the way already played it for 6 hours straight but it took me about 40 mins to get it running. I bought this to play on my laptop because it's a pretty chill game that isn't too demanding to run. Haven't tried it on my desktop yet.

What happens is I start the game up and it just sits in the task bar. If I click it, nothing happens. If I hover over it I can see the loading screen and then the main menu in the window preview. I tried everything from messing with the config .ini but nothing would work. The only thing that works is if I open the task manager, start the game, then maximise the task from the task list. Thats the only solution and I have to do it every time I start the game.

My specs are (Laptop):
Windows 7 x64 bit
i7 @ 2.2ghz
8GB RAM
Radeon HD 6490 M

Unforeseen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [WIN7] Game starts minimised and the only way to maximis

Post by Unforeseen »

Exactly the same problem, thanks UKStephen as I was stuck finding a solution and maximizing via task manager worked.

Same thing, Laptop

Factorio 0.9.8.9400 - x64
Win 7 x64
16GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro K3000M

crimsonknight3
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by crimsonknight3 »

I am having the same issue but it won't maximise now using task manager. It used to but now every time I try nothing happens, totally reinstalled three times and nothing has happened.

Bizzac
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bizzac »

Having same problem. Using the task manager does not work to bring program to front. Running program in admin mode.
Win 7 64 bit
i5
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370
Also a laptop, not sure if that's a common theme or why it would matter.
I am also using the demo version, tried manual and installer.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Maybe some ideas:
- delete config. See https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... _Directory

- or stupid things:
https://www.google.de/search?q=maximizi ... =de&espv=1

Edit: eventually turning of second screen?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Bizzac
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bizzac »

So I have tried a few things but none seem to give a permanent fix.

1) Connecting my laptop to another display. When I hook up another monitor (on a Laptop) and change my multi display settings to only display on screen 1 (my built in screen) this will bring Factorio to the front. Looking at other posts I saw were people were using a similar strategy to fix the 30x30 display problem. This has worked every time so far, but has to be done every time I turn off my laptop and is a pain for me as I have to borrow another monitor.

2) Turning full screen mode off in config. This will (sometimes) put Factorio in a 30x30 block in the top left corner. Sometimes it will do nothing. When it is in the corner, making sure the window is selected and hitting alt+enter will turn full screen back on, and show the proper resolution. Other times it does nothing. Seems to work all the time after #1 has been done.

3) Clicking on the Factorio icon and spamming the windows key+d . This and #2 seem to work every time after I do #1, leading me to believe that #1 is the main issue.

I will test a few more ways and come back when I have a process that works 100% of the time.

Bizzac
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bizzac »

So using the windows key+d works 100% of the time if you follow these steps: (Win 7 tested)

1) Open Factorio.
2) Mouse over the Factorio icon and wait for it to get to the main menu. If you can't see if Factorio is on the main menu holding the windows key+tab should work to. If you have these options disabled in Windows for performance, just wait a little bit as Factorio needs to be in the main menu for the next step.
3) Click on the Factorio icon in the task bar, this will selected it.
4) Hit windows key+d two times. The first time is to 'minimize' it, the second time will bring it back to the front. If it is not working make try closing all other windows and click on the Factorio icon in the task bar to make sure you have it selected. Give a little time (few seconds) between hitting the keys to make sure you give Factorio time to bring to front.

This works for me all of the time now, and hopefully will let others bypass this bug.
If you are useing a different version of windows look up the command keys for maximizing a window (a poster before me was kind enough to provide a link)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Sounds not so complicated. :P I'll put it into the FAQ.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Unforeseen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Unforeseen »

Just an update, I noticed on my Laptop this only happens in external monitor / multi-monitor / docking bay setup.

If I am using my regular laptop screen, the issue does not happen, so it likely has something to do with more then one display being available.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

It is probably solved for 0.10, let me know if it isn't the case once it is released.

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arl85 »

For me (on win7 x64) this is not solved.
If I start the game in fullscreen, only a very small window appears in top left corner; if I start in window mode, it starts in taskbar.
When using "window mode", WIN+D trick works, but the first time I start the game it doesn't recognize mouse wheel movements (it doesn't zoom in/out) and shift key (cannot place ghost building, for example).

Reducing to taskbar again and reopening solves the mouse wheel problem. Shift problem is sometimes solved, but not always (still trying to find a proper way to have it working again...)

If it is important, my graphic card is an ATI Radeon HD 6700 + Intel HD 3000 (switchable graphics) but I'm just using the ATI in fixed mode.
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.10.3] factorio starts minimized

Post by arl85 »

Even if it should be ok since 0.10.0, for me (win7 x64) this is not solved.
If I start the game in fullscreen, only a very small window appears in top left corner; if I start in window mode, it starts in taskbar.

When using "window mode", WIN+D trick works, but the first time I start the game it doesn't recognize mouse wheel movements (it doesn't zoom in/out)
Reducing to taskbar again and reopening solves the mouse wheel problem.

If it is important, my graphic card is an ATI Radeon HD 6700 + Intel HD 3000 (switchable graphics) but I'm just using the ATI in fixed mode.
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [WIN7] Game starts minimised and the only way to maximise...

Post by posila »

Hey, is anyone who has this issue still around? I have added some extra information about available displays to Factorio logs, so I would be interested to see the 0.12.5+ logs from people who experience this issue.

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arl85 »

Hi, I tried with 0.12.4 and problem is no more. Factorio starts and takes focus properly.

but I found that during the update process from 0.12.4 to 0.12.6, immediately after restart, factorio is in taskbar but I cannot display its window.
I closed it by right-click on taskbar - close window and restarted it. no problem at all, started and focused normally.
so problem now seems to be present only with automatic restart after updates.
Log attached.
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(3.64 KiB) Downloaded 249 times

Boogalo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Boogalo »

Another way to get it to the main screen is to make sure it has focus, the press windows key + left right arrows until it moves to the correct monitor.

Orangi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Orangi »

Greeting FF,
I have been playing this game vir steam for a week now with no issues and today I started the game only to find this locked to minimized on taskbar problem.

My laptop runs Windows 10 with Radeon HD 7600m 1GB

When I run the program the Factorio icon loads on my taskbar and when I hover my cursor over it I get a sml preview windows showing me that the game is running and on the Main Menu but im unable to maximize it to the desktop.

I have tired Restarting machine, updated my drivers, reinstalled game, Win+up, Taskmanager Open/ bring to front, Set to admin, Compatibility for Windows 8, Win+D x2, Alt+Space M Direction and nothing seem to bring it up. I also dont recieve any crash or error notification

My only concern is that I cant us my laptop monitor as it is damaged so I use a HTMI Monitor as my primary screen.
I have never experiance this problem before and this only just happend today so hopfully you guy can offer me somthing else to try to fix this.

Thankyou.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Hi, can you attach factorio-current.log, please?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I'll tell you what I'd do under Win7, I'm sure there's something similar on Win10
- Start Factorio
- Shift-Right-Click on Factorio icon (the one showing Factorio's running)
- Click Move
- Hit any combination of your directional keys (like Right, down, ...)
- If it's what I think, Factorio window will be forced to focus to your mouse cursor.

If it's not what I think, well, we'll have to keep on searching :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Orangi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Orangi »

Yeah sorry, here the current log from the steam folder is that enough?

0.002 2016-03-05 14:29:23; Factorio 0.12.25 (Build 17747, win64)
0.002 Operating system: Windows 8
0.002 Program arguments: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\bin\x64\Factorio.exe"
0.002 Read data path: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Factorio/data
0.002 Write data path: C:/Users/Janet/AppData/Roaming/Factorio
0.003 Binaries path: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Factorio/bin
0.140 Available display adapters: 2
0.140 [0]: \\.\DISPLAY1 - AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series {0x01, [-1366,0], 1366x768, 32bit, 60Hz}
0.140 [1]: \\.\DISPLAY2 - AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series {0x05, [0,0], 1680x1050, 32bit, 60Hz}
0.141 Create display on adapter 0. Size 1266x668 at position [40, 32].
0.582 Initialised OpenGL:[0] AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series; driver: 4.5.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.201.1151.1008
0.629 Desktop composition is active.
0.629 Graphics options: [FullScreen: true] [VSync: true] [UIScale: 100%] [MultiSampling: OFF] [Graphics quality: normal] [Video memory usage: medium] [Light scale: 23%] [Screen: 0]
0.771 Loading mod core 0.0.0 (data.lua)
0.784 Loading mod base 0.12.25 (data.lua)
5.677 Initial atlas bitmap size is 16384
5.678 Created atlas bitmap 16384x1418
74.266 Factorio initialised
1367.641 Steam API shutdown.
1367.650 Goodbye

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”